Over the past few days, three other writers and I conducted a draft of all the current NFC East players. We each drafted 11 for the O, and 11 for the D. It was fun, and actually very enlightening in many ways. Here were the participants:
Drafting for the Redskins: Rich Tandler of Real Redskins
Drafting for the Cowboys: Rafael Vela of Cowboys Nation
Drafting for the Eagles: Me
Drafting for the Giants: Eric Edholm, who covers the NFCE for Pro Football Weekly.
|QB||Eli Manning||QB||Tony Romo|
|RB||LeSean McCoy||RB||Felix Jones|
|RB||Ahmad Bradshaw||FB||Henry Hynoski|
|WR||Hakeem Nicks||WR||Miles Austin|
|WR||DeSean Jackson||WR||Mario Manningham|
|TE||Fred Davis||TE||Chris Cooley|
|LT||Trent Williams||LT||Tyron Smith|
|G||David Diehl||G||Evan Mathis|
|C||Phil Costa||C||Jason Kelce|
|G||Montrae Holland||G||Kevin Boothe|
|RT||Jammal Brown||RT||Doug Free|
|DE||Jarvis Jenkins||DE||Justin Tuck|
|DT||Mike Patterson||DT||Linval Joseph|
|DE||Adam Carriker||DT||Stephen Bowen|
|LB||Ryan Kerrigan||DE||Trent Cole|
|LB||Sean Lee||LB||Jason Babin|
|LB||Mathias Kiwanuka||LB||Michael Boley|
|LB||Anthony Spencer||LB||Chase Blackburn|
|CB||Asante Samuel||CB||Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie|
|S||Antrel Rolle||S||Gerald Sensabaugh|
|S||Terence Newman||S||Orlando Scandrick|
|CB||Josh Wilson||CB||Mike Jenkins|
|QB||Michael Vick||QB||Mike Kafka|
|RB||Roy Helu||RB||DeMarco Murray|
|WR||Dez Bryant||WR||Victor Cruz|
|WR||Santana Moss||WR||Jeremy Maclin|
|TE||Jason Witten||WR||Laurent Robinson|
|TE||Brent Celek||WR||Jason Avant|
|LT||William Beatty||LT||Jason Peters|
|LG||Kory Lichtensteiger||G||Chris Chester|
|C||Will Mongomery||C||Davis Bass|
|RG||Danny Watkins||G||Chris Snee|
|RT||King Dunlap||RT||Todd Herremans|
|DE||Osi Umenyiora||DE||Cullen Jenkins|
|DT||Derek Landri||DT||Barry Cofield|
|DT||Jay Ratliff||DE||Chris Canty|
|RDE||Jason Pierre-Paul||LB||DeMarcus Ware|
|OLB||Brian Rolle||LB||Jonathan Goff|
|MLB||London Fletcher||LB||Jamar Chaney|
|SLB||Brian Orakpo||LB||Bruce Carter|
|CB||DeAngelo Hall||CB||Corey Webster|
|S||Nate Allen||S||LaRon Landry|
|S||Kenny Phillips||S||Prince Amukamara|
|CB||Nnamdi Asomugha||CB||Terrell Thomas|
Commentary after the jump…
– I can only speak strategically for my own team (the Eagles). I originally wanted to be strong on the OL above all else. Unfortunately, so did the other guys. Once the best offensive linemen started coming off the board, I kind of said screw it, we’ll just draft a couple tight ends later on, play a lot of max protect, and just be awesome on defense. I mean… look at that defense. Who’s scoring on us? We’re going to kill the opposing QB every week. Then again, Vick won’t last one game behind that junk.
– The breakdown of total players drafted: Eagles, 25. Giants, 24. Cowboys, 20. Redskins, 18. In fairness, there were no Giants homers, like there were for the other teams, although Eric did draft the most Giants, with 8.
– Poor Eric Edholm got screwed immediately by being 4th in the draft order. Eli was the first overall pick, followed by Romo, which forced my hand to take Vick so as not to be stuck with a garbage QB. His pick in the last round was, and I quote via email: “And the hotly anticipated QB choice… Mike Kafka. Seriously.”
– I already knew how bad the interior linemen in the NFCE were, but when you’re actually picking guys to play for your fake team, you attain a whole new level of realization of how bad those guys are.
– The most surprising undrafted player? Probably Kareem McKenzie. I drafted King Dunlap over him in the 22nd round.
– Good to see Jason Peters get the credit he deserves. He was drafted either 4th or 5th overall, depending on what was going on in Eric’s head when he drafted Peters and Ware back-to-back.
– I was the biggest homer, drafting 9 Eagles (hanging head in shame), although Raf from Cowboys Nation wasn’t far behind. He drafted 8 Cowboys, and one former on (Stephen Bowen).
– I also tied for drafting the most Redskins (again, hanging head in shame). Rich From Real Redskins and I each took 7 of them. The other guys only took 2 a piece.
– It gets a little screwy drafting teams like this. You’re almost forced to draft a guy here or there out of position. For example, because of the total lack of good safeties, three of the teams would rather roll with a corner at safety instead of an actual safety. Or in the case of value on board, Raf took Jason Babin and made him a LB, as did I with Brian Orakpo, playing LB in my 4-3. He’s going to awesome in my 4-3, by the way. We’ll use him a little but like the Giants use Kiwanuka, except with a much better athlete.
– I’ve always thought of DeAngelo Hall as one of the most overrated players in the game. He was most certainly not overrated by anyone participating in this draft, as he was the 10th corner taken.
– Raf took the only FB, and it was the Hynocerous.
– With the “Mr. Irrelevant pick,” Rich took Jarvis Jenkins.
– Dez Bryant, for all his talent, was the 6th WR taken, right where he should be.
– Two of our panelists scoffed at me picking Nnamdi. I took him 30th overall! In a division with weaksauce corners! Come on now.
– Interesting to see how high Jason Kelce came off the board. 5th round. That goes to show you how terrible center play is in the NFC East. I’m assuming Raf took the only guy he found to be competent at C to take him that high.
And finally, here was the draft order. In the odd-number rounds, go from left to right. In the even number rounds, go from right to left. It’s the same snake system you probably use in your fantasy draft.
|1||Eli Manning||Tony Romo||Michael Vick||Jason Peters|
|2||Hakeem Nicks||Tyron Smith||Jason Pierre-Paul||DeMarcus Ware|
|3||LeSean McCoy||Trent Cole||Jason Witten||Cullen Jenkins|
|4||Ryan Kerrigan||Justin Tuck||Jay Ratliff||Victor Cruz|
|5||Sean Lee||Jason Kelce||London Fletcher||Chris Snee|
|6||Mathias Kiwanuka||Jason Babin||Brian Orakpo||Corey Webster|
|7||Fred Davis||Evan Mathis||Osi Umenyiora||Jeremy Maclin|
|8||DeSean Jackson||Linval Joseph||Nnamdi Asomugha||Barry Cofield|
|9||Mike Patterson||Miles Austin||Kenny Phillips||LaRon Landry|
|10||Trent Williams||Doug Free||Dez Bryant||Todd Herremans|
|11||Antrel Rolle||Mario Manningham||William Beatty||Chris Canty|
|12||Asante Samuel||Stephen Bowen||Brent Celek||DeMarco Murray|
|13||Ahmad Bradshaw||Felix Jones||Danny Watkins||David Baas|
|14||Josh Wilson||Heny Hynoski||Kory Lichtensteiger||Terrell Thomas|
|15||Montrae Holland||Michael Boley||Nate Allen||Jonathan Goff|
|16||Anthony Spencer||Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie||Will Montgomery||Laurent Robinson|
|17||Phil Costa||Mike Jenkins||Santana Moss||Prince Amukamara|
|18||Jammal Brown||Kevin Boothe||Derek Landri||Chris Chester|
|19||Adam Carriker||Orlando Scandrick||Roy Helu||Jason Avant|
|20||Terence Newman||Chris Cooley||DeAngelo Hall||Bruce Carter|
|21||David Diehl||Chase Blackburn||Brian Rolle||Jamar Chaney|
|22||Jarvis Jenkins||Gerald Sensabaugh||King Dunlap||Mike Kafka|