– Kevin Zeitler is one of the higher rated guards in this draft class, and the Vikings staff has been giving him reps at center. He had a few low snaps earlier in the week, and he air-mailed one over Kellen Moore’s head in warmups. Zeitler can only help his value if he can prove he has the versatility to play both spots, but he’s going to have to work on his shotgun snaps.
– Mike Singletary is running the linebacker drills. Fun to watch. He’s a little crazy. Seems to like Shea McClellin of Boise. James-Michael Johnson, however, is getting lit up by big Mike.
– Doug Martin looked good today. He was routinely winning vs linebackers in receiving drills. Isaiah Pead, too. They’ve both been beating the North Team’s linebackers with relative ease. Pead also had a nice-looking punt return. I haven’t been particularly impressed with Boom Herron or Chris Polk. In fairness to Polk, his game is breaking tackles and getting tough yards, so he’s tough to fairly evaluate without any tackling.
OL vs DL drills:
– Kendall Reyes with a strong bull rush. Reyes has looked good this week.
– Jack Crawford gets OG Kelechi Osemele off balance and gets him to the ground. Strong rush there.
– Cam Johnson absolutely smokes Sednio Kelemete around the edge. Great burst.
– Good rip move by Mike Martin of Michigan. This is Mike Martin, by the way, in case you don’t know what he looks like.
– Cam Johnson beats Mike Adams now. Cam is having a good week here.
– Osemele gets his hands on Vinny Curry and swallows him up.
11 on 11’s:
– Nice pull from Tony Bergstrom from LG across the formation to open up a big hole. Hits a defender with a nice pop, and drives him back.
– Kendall Reyes gets a TFL. He has been impressive at the DT position. The North Team interior linemen have had trouble keeping him out of the backfield.
– Curry looks like he may have been offsides, but holy crap, he has a very impressive first step out of his stance on the edge. He’s kind of a lean, fast DE.
– Nice play by Lavonte David to stuff a run for a loss on a pitch to the outside.
– Kellen Moore with a nice pass to McNutt on the left side, followed by a bad miss to a wide open miss to the FB (Bradie Ewing) running down the right sideline.
– Mike Brewster airmails a snap.
– Cam Johnson smokes Mike Adams around the edge. Really good day for Cam. I think he has helped himself a lot this week.
*NOTE – Speaking of Adams, after practice, the Eagles spoke with him. Adams is being projected as a fairly good bet to go in the first round, so it was interesting to see the Eagles talking to him. With Jason Peters an Todd Herremans in place, they don’t need an OT in the first round. However, free agency comes before the draft, and Adams would make sense if the Eagles are unable to keep Evan Mathis as their starting LG. Should they lose Mathis, it could make sense to draft a RT and move Herremans back to LG. That’s not a desired result, but the Eagles could be doing due diligence and have a contingency plan in place if they lose Mathis.
– Also, kind of a funny note on Marvin McNutt… I overheard him talking to a Jets scout, and while I didn’t hear the question, I did hear McNutt’s answer, which went something to the effect of “Yeah, I’m an occasional drinker, like we all are.”
The Eagles were the only NFCE team actively talking with prospects after the morning practice.