10 *more* random thoughts on the NFC East

The Eagles already have 3 very good OL vets in place, and the two "kids" are only going to get better.

I did 10 random thoughts this morning, but figured I’d keep going.

1) The Giants’ likely upcoming schedule if they keep winning: Falcons, @ Packers, @ Saints, AFC Champ.

2) The last time the Eagles picked 15th overall, they ended up with Jerome McDougle.  The Cowboys have never picked 14th.  The last time the Redskins drafted 6th, they took LaRon Landry.  Some more useless factoids:

– The last ten players draft 6th overall: Julio Jones, Russell Okung, Andre Smith, Vernon Gholston, LaRon Landry, Vernon Davis, Pacman Jones, Kellen Winslow, Johnathan Sullivan, Rhan Sims.

– The last ten players drafted 14th overall: Robert Quinn, Earl Thomas, Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Williams, Darrelle Revis, Brodrick Bunkley, Thomas Davis, Tommie Harris, Michael Haynes, Jeremy Shockey.

– The last ten players drafted 15th overall: Mike Pouncey, Jason Pierre-Paul, Brian Cushing, Branden Albert, Lawrence Timmons, Tye Hill, Derrick Johnson, Michael Clayton, Jerome McDougle, Albert Haynesworth.

Just like any draft slot, it’s always hit and miss.

3) Victor Cruz: 82-1536-9.  And he barely played the first 2 games of the season.

4) Heard a weird interview with Pat Hanlon on WFAN before the game last night.  They asked him about Ramses Barden being inactive, and he basically said that Barden wasn’t playing because he sucked the previous week.  What a dick move.  Pat Hanlon is the head of PR for the Giants.  It’s one thing to tell Barden that he wasn’t playing becuse he hasn’t been performing, but to go on the radio and volunteer that to the fans?  Why?  I’m no PR whix, but that’s not what a PR guy should be doing.

5) I’ve found myself saying “That’s one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen” a lot this season, but the personal foul the referees called on Reed Doughty yesterday was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen.

6) I didn’t buy Mathias Kiwanuka as a linebacker this offseason.  I figured the Giants would use him a lot as a blitzer, and he’d struggle doing everything else.  After seeing him play a full season at LB, he’s far from perfect, and it’s pretty clear opposing teams try to get him in unfavorable matchups against TEs and RBs.  But I’ll say this for the guy… He’s been outstanding in the run game.  I didn’t expect that.

7) The Eagles’ OL was supposed to be their big weakness this season, and at times early in the season they struggled, particularly with the two rookies (Jason Kelce and Danny Watkins), and when Kyle DeVan was still on the team.  But as the season progressed, it became one of the strengths of the team, and I think it’s fair to say it’s one of the better units in the league, and by far and away the best in the division.  Jason Peters may have had the best season of any offensive lineman in the league, Evan Mathis played at a Pro Bowl level at LG, Todd Herremans, although inconsistent at times is an above average right tackle, and the two kids (using that term loosely with Watkins) will only get better, especially with a full offseason.  Even the backups have been good.  King Dunlap is a good swing tackle, and even filled in effectively at guard once this season.  The Eagles have a lot to be encouraged about there.

8) Rex Grossman “only” threw one pick yesterday, but he tried his hardest to throw more.  A bunch of passes hit Eagles defenders who simply weren’t looking back for the ball.  He’s a free agent an won’t be back.  John Beck is a serviceable backup, (I think?), and is under contract through 2012.  He’ll be the one that sticks to backup the Skins’ mystery QB of the future.

9) “I’ve got to moooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOve like Jagger!” Most annoying stadium song ever.

10) The Giants are 3 point favorites over the Falcons.  If you believe the thing where home field advantage means 3 points, that means that Vegas thinks the Giants an Falcons are even teams.  I’m not so sure I agree.

1. Certainly believe that that you said. Your preferred cause appeared to be at the internet the easiest aspect to consider of. I say to you, I certainly obtain irked even as folks consider issues that they just do not comprehend about. A person were able to hit the toe nail on the very best as well as described the entire factor without necessity side effect , folks might take an indication. Will likely be once again to obtain more. Thank you

2. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

3. You bring up some interesting points in this write up. I’ve been pondering about this for a while so it was nice to discover this.

4. Jalarsen1 says:

Giants should beat the Falcons. I don’t like this Falcons team at all; they’ve really feasted on some mediocre competition.

With that said, I think NO and GB play the NFCCG with NO coming out on top.

5. Turd.Ferguson says:

It’s amazing what that “catch” by Cruz at the end of the Cardinals game in week 4 ended up meaning for how the division played out in the end.

1. Free Plax says:

It didn’t mean anymore than the blown calls the refs had in the GB and Jet’s game. Calls always work themselves out even so we can let the Victor Cruz call go now, because the Ref’s have blown a ton of calls that should have gone the Giants way.

6. WeNeedLinemen42 says:

“John Beck is a serviceable backup, (I think?)”

Unfortunately not, I had high hopes for Beck during the pre-season, and was glad when he was given a shot after Grossman’s first Eagles debacle. Beck has got a much stronger arm than Grossman and better mobility but he looked lost in the regular season. It was rabbit in the headlights time. Sure, he wasn’t helped by his receivers, particularly Fred Davis, who dropped a lot of catchable balls but Beck transcended inaccurate and was well on his way through wild on to out of control.

Beck might be kept around through the off-season to help guide a rookie or two through the playbook, but it will be a massive failure by the front office if he makes it into the final 53.

Grossman’s fate will depend on what happens in free agency. I can see him sticking around as the number 2 if a veteran QB cannot be signed. However, if the Packers don’t franchise Matt Flynn or Peyton Manning becomes available as a free agent, I’d like to think the Redskins would try to sign one of them. I am not sure I could cope with another year of the soul-sucking pain of watching Rex Grossman start.

7. ICDogg says:

As far as the Eagles O-line, I’m not as sold as you are… seems like Vick is under all kinds of pressure a lot. How much of that is Vick, and how much of that is the O-line?

1. Turd.Ferguson says:

One of the things that makes Vick so exciting is his ability to extend a play. However, because of that, it looks like he’s under tons of pressure all the time. Last night, on several occasions, I saw Eli throw the ball away when one of his linemen got beat badly and he didn’t have someone open immediately. In that case, it doesn’t look like Eli is under a lot of pressure because he’s getting rid of the ball long before the pass rush can get to him.

The difference is, if it’s Vick he sees his lineman get beat, and then runs around for an extra second or two trying to buy time waiting for his man to get open. He makes an iffy throw and ends up taking a shot. Vick rarely ever throws a ball away.

All that to say, I think it’s on Vick.

1. Free Plax says:

Vick usually makes the first guy miss anyway, Eli is not able to do that, so he throws the ball away to live to fight another day.

8. ICDogg says:

I got the moves like Jagr.

9. Scott says:

I have a feeling that NY is going to do some damage in the playoffs. Like knock off GB damage. Think they’ll lose to NO at the end then NO will beat BAL

10. Jason-E says:

The Giants are going to beat the breaks off the falcons. I have no respect for the falcons, especially away from that dome. The fucking falcons in the first round at home. God! Fuck you Jets!

1. Scott says:

Yeah I didnt like the jets much before. Now I just hope that team fails miserably for the next few seasons

11. Rick says:

Pat Hanlon always seems to be saying stuff a typical PR person would dare say.

12. Will says:

For number 10, not sure you agree they’re even in that you think the falcs are better or the Giants are better?

1. deg0ey says:

Can’t speak for Jimmy, but as far as I’m concerned, the Falcons are better on both sides of the ball. Having said that, a dome team playing outside in January is potentially a recipe for disaster (for those of us that want the Giants to lose)

13. Andy says:

Not like it matters anymore, just curious

14. Andy says:

Who do you think would be a better match-up for the Giants, the Falcons or the Lions?