15 random thoughts on the NFC East

1) The Eagles can win the division.  Here are the 4 things that need to go down for that to happen:

Week 16

A) The Eagles have to beat the Cowboys in Dallas.  The opening line for that game is Dallas -3.5.

B) The Giants have to lose to the Jets in NJ, with the Jets being the “home team.” The Jets are 2-point favorites right now.

Week 17

C) The Eagles have to beat the Redskins in Philly.

D) The Giants have to beat the Cowboys in NJ.

Now, the odds remain rather long that all four of those scenarios will play out, but if you take each of those games individually, all 4 of those things can most certainly happen.  You can put Philly away for good on your own next week, Dallas.  Let’s see what’chu got.

2) I said this last week, but I think it’s worth saying it again.  Kudos to Mike Shanahan and the Redskins.  They stink, but that team hasn’t quit.

By sweeping the Giants this season, the Redskins defied monumental odds.

3) ELIte.

4) Antrel Rolle said that the Giants would beat the Redskins 99 out of 100 times. That means that the Redskins sweeping the Giants this season had a likelihood of 1 in 9801.  Antrel math, at the end of the day.

5) Jabar Gaffney: 58 catches, 842 yards, 4 TD. DeSean Jackson: 49 catches, 785 yards, 3 TD.

6) Brent Celek is having himself a great 2nd half of the season.  Here are his numbers.  They haven’t yet added in his 156 yard performance today, as of me publishing this.  Check out the first 5 games, and then the last 9.  People were all over him when the Eagles were 1-4 (myself included), but he has bounced back in a major way.  He’s a surprisingly good athlete. Showed his wheels on the 74 yard catch and run.

7) Raise your hand if you’re a Cowboys fan and you’re worried that some of your guys were buying weed/cocaine from Sam Hurd.

8) Tampa leads the league in missed tackles. I wasn’t sure how that could be possible in a league that included the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles, but then I saw the Bucs play Saturday, and I understood. I should also note here that the Eagles tackling against the Jets was superb.

9) Could Jason Babin really break the sack record?  He needs 4.5 to tie Michael Strahan.  Imagine that… NFL single season sack record… Jason Babin.  It just doesn’t sound right.  He’ll face Tyron Smith next week (Babin had 2 sacks vs Dallas earlier this season), and Jammal Brown the following week.  It’s unlikely, but he’s within striking distance.

10) I think the NFL needs to offer a feed of a camera fixed on Jerry Jones and his entourage in the luxury box. I would set up an extra TV in my living room for that. Tell me you wouldn’t watch that. Kind of like the Truman Show, but… you know… funny.

11) Point differentials in the NFC East: Cowboys +52, Eagles +31, Giants -38, Redskins -48.

I would estimate that >1% of Cowboys fans could tell me who #78 is, and spell his name correctly.

12) At the end of the Cowboys game Saturday, Dallas got a humongous scare when Tyron Smith went down.  He’s fine.  However, that very moment caused Cowboys fans nationwide to google “Cowboys depth chart” to see who would have to fill in.  It’s Jermey Parnell, just FYI.  The point here… The Cowboys have zilch in the way of OL depth.

13) The Eagles have hung 80 points and 915 yards on the Ryan brothers in 2 games this season. Round 3 upcoming.

14) Yeah, the Bucs stink. Yeah, their defense is putrid. Yeah, their offense is too. But give the Cowboys credit. It was a game they had to win, and win they did, in convincing fashion. They now have an extra day to prepare for Philly. Unfortunately, Rob’s brother didn’t show much in the way of how to stop Philly’s offense.

15) Speaking of which… Rob Ryan, I’m talking to you.  You know that running play where the Eagles show run to the right, then Shady cuts back to the left where DeMarcus Ware is met by a pulling TE?  The play that has been absolutely destroying Dallas for 2 years now?  Yeah, they’re going to run that again next week.  Might want to prepare for it.

1. HTC Sync says:

My spouse and i felt quite thankful when Peter could round up his preliminary research from your ideas he made out of your web pages. It’s not at all simplistic to simply happen to be releasing points other people may have been selling. And we also fully grasp we have got you to thank for this. All the illustrations you have made, the straightforward site navigation, the friendships you can help to instill – it’s all extraordinary, and it is helping our son and us believe that this topic is excellent, which is tremendously indispensable. Thank you for all the pieces!

2. Precisely the details all of us is in research of. Should certainly interrupt my expenses soon.

3. You need to participate in a contest for the most effective blogs on the web. I will advocate this web site!

4. Check These Out…

[…]check below, are some totally unrelated websites to ours, however, they are most trustworthy sources that we use[…]…

5. I simply want to tell you that I am just newbie to blogging and definitely liked this web blog. Very likely I’m likely to bookmark your website . You really come with amazing well written articles. Many thanks for sharing your website page.

6. Owen Knower says:

I simply want to tell you that I am just beginner to blogging and certainly enjoyed this web blog. Most likely I’m planning to bookmark your website . You amazingly have beneficial articles and reviews. Kudos for sharing with us your website page.

7. Nan Sneath says:

this web site is my inhalation , really great style and design and perfect written content .

So glad I missed the game on Sunday… unfortunately, so did the Giants apparently.

9. Joe says:

*Raises hand*….but hoping it it TO he was selling to and no current Cowboys…

ELIte (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) If Romo had turned in that game he would be getting killed in the national media, but since it is ELI………pretty quite

1. WeNeedLinemen42 says:

I feel sorry for Romo. He is another quarterback that I’d be very happy to have playing for the ‘Skins. He has put up huge numbers every year. He’s got a good arm and is good at keeping plays alive. Moreover, many of “his” bad days seem to be more about total team dysfunction than down just to him.

Sure, he’ll make the occasional bone-head play and doesn’t have much luck but he also hasn’t had much help from his coaches over the last three to four years. Having a declining T.O. and Roy Williams as his starters cannot have helped much either.

Romo might not be at the same level as Brees, Roger, P. Manning, Brady and (perhaps) Roethlisberger but he is pretty close.

1. Immynimmy says:

LOL you poor ‘skins fans would be happy with ANYONE at QB.

1. CarverM says:

We are the fat girl without a date to prom.

10. theguyotc says:

Antrell Rolle also said the Giants are 10 times better than they played, so the odds were something like 1 in 98,010.

The odds of experiencing an earthquake are about 1 in 100,000. Antrel Rolle logic says the earthquake in August caused the Giants to lose that game.

11. WeNeedLinemen42 says:

I know some Redskins “fans” will be irked because winning harms our draft position but it felt so good watching Rolle having his faced rubbed right in the dirt.

12. WeNeedLinemen42 says:

I think Eli is getting too much blame for last nights performance, he got absolutely no help from his receivers. The Wilson interception was a case in point. You have no idea how much this pains me but I’ve got to go with Aikman’s interpretation. It was a timing pass, Manning threw the right pass, Manningham ran the wrong route.

Eli put a lot of passes straight into the hands of his receivers, only for them to drop them. He also did a pretty good job evading a pass rush that was shredding his offensive line.

As a Redskins fan, I’d be happy to have him as our starter. In fact, I’d take him over any other QB in the East and I tend to think that Romo, if anything, is under-rated. Vick and Romo have more physical talent, but I’d take Manning’s reliability. I also like Manning’s knack for the occasional big win. Napolean also valued luck as the greatest asset of any field general, and Lady Luck seems to like Eli when the stakes are high.

1. norman says:

This is a good point. As much as we can pile on Manningface, “only” being a top 10 qb is not a bad thing. There’s plenty of teams that would be monumentally benefitted by having someone like that under center.

Not to compare him to his brother, but we see what the colts did without having their guy. How much worse would NYG be without him? Rex Grossman throwing to Manningham? Ick.

Still don’t like the guy. The San Diego thing was classless.

13. Anthony says:

Just kinda nitpicking, but, according to Antrel Rolle odds, the Redskins sweeping the Cowboys actually has a 1 in 10000 chance. It’s a 9801 in 10000 chance the Giants sweep, and a 198 in 1000 chance they split the games.

According to Antrel Rolle.

14. Brian says:

#7 is so true. Exactly what I though of when I first heard about the story.

15. DerfDiggy says:

Giants game is at 1pm, they win and I bet Rat/Ware and some other injured players sit for the Eagles game at 4pm. As it becomes a meaningless game.

1. Gary says:

Same for the Eagles. Could see a lot of backups vs. backups.

1. bdawk4ever says:

I don’t see it. The Eagles want to go out on a good note. They aren’t going to give up playoffs or no playoffs.

Also, I don’t see the Giants winning. The Jets need this game bad.

1. deg0ey says:

So do the Giants – If they lose, then Dallas can secure the division against the Eagles

16. Tracer Bullet says:

Is that an issue with play design? Seems like the real problem is that Ware keeps getting bitchmade by pulling TEs.

17. BBI says:

Agreed on almost all counts, though with #3 I can totally see that being the overall media reaction. Eli has one bad game and he’s the butt of all jokes again. Whatever.

1. Immynimmy says:

One bad game? It was his 3rd three interception game this season. Plus let’s get real…Eli is not Elite…simple as that. (God, if I had a quarter for how many times I’ve had to say that…)

1. Andy says:

**2nd 3 interception game…also, “plus let’s get real” isn’t the most convincing argument, a better would be the wikipedia page for super bowl mvps and the nfl.com stat page for quarterbacks. whatever elite means to you, eli is playing around top 5

1. bdawk4ever says:

And Super Bowl MVP is a bad argument. His defense won that game. He got lucky.

And regardless of the stats, Eli is not top Top 5. Now if you are talking interceptions, he definitely is Top 6.

1. Andy says:

not saying its a great argument (no jimmy, none of those guys are/were elite (btw, the only reason this almost meaningless adjective has stuck is because elis name is in it)), but i think it holds at least a little more weight than “lets get real”

2. Are/Were the following players elite: Deion Branch, Dexter Jackson, Desmond Howard, Larry Brown.

1. Joe says:

no to larry brown

2. I like Eli. Goes out and plays. Does it quietly. Humbly. His teammates love him. Never says anything stupid. Clutch. Good arm. Accurate at times. Leader. Definitely a high quality, good NFL QB.

Calling him “ELIte” actually does him an enormous disservice. Because he’s not elite. He’s not even close to guys like his brother, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc etc. It’s a ridiculous overreaction. People WANT him to be “elite” because he’s likable, but he simply doesn’t possess the same skill set as the aforementioned greats of today’s NFL. And that’s why he’s going to have the occasional horror show of a game like he had today. And then jackasses like me take a certain level of glee scoffing at the “ELIte” overreactions. It comes off as if we’re slamming Eli, but for me at least, I’m poking fun at the folks that want to put him in that top tier.

He’s a really good QB. I think this year he has proven hes firmly in the top 10 of the hierarchy of QBs. But people lose their freaking minds from one week to the next. It’s really unfair to the guy.

1. Andy says:

i’m just curious what etc etc means, how many more guys could you list who he’s worse than (i’m sure there are a small handful, but no one in the class of brees brady rodgers)

1. deg0ey says:

Isn’t that the point, though; Brees, Brady and Rodgers are the guys that can reasonably be called elite. Therefore, by definition, anyone else isn’t.