NFC Obituary/Hierarchy with Week 12 in the books

Graveyard:

Obituaries: None this week

Hierarchy:

Perry Fewell has a few things to figure out.

8 – Ew

The Giants have given up 277 points this year.  That’s 5th worst in the NFL.  They’ve allowed 382 yards per game.  Also 5th worst.  They give up 131 rushing yards per game.  Somehow, that makes them only the 9th worst in that category.  They give up 251 passing yards per game.  7th worst.

Their opponents’ combined record: 55-66.

Their defense can’t stop the run or cover anybody, and their offensive line stinks.

I can go on and on with about the problems with this team… and I will!  Later today. 🙂

7 – Jay Cutler’s thumb

This time last week, I thought the Bears could survive without Jay Cutler.  Methinks I was wrong.

6 -Lucky indeed

Last year, I attended the NFL Combine.  There I got to watch the great Rick Gosselin in action, and he was the busiest human in the room.  He had this enormous notebook with very specific questions written down for every player in attendance.  We’re talking about over 300 players, mind you.  The way the Combine works, if you’re a writer, is they stick you in this huge wide-open suite level room within the stadium, where the players come up a few at a time and you can fire off questions to them.  There’d be some guy rated as a 7th round pick that would go up (for fun we’ll call him Moomoo Shabobadoo), and Gosselin would turn to his Moomoo Shabobadoo page and go, “Moomoo, Do you think teams will be concerned about the time you stole Skittles from the local convenience store when you were 8 years old?”

Dallas fans certainly know who Rick Gosselin is.  Gosselin has covered the NFL for over 30 years.  His mock draft is one of the most sought-after reads every year, because of his impeccable accuracy of predicting how the first round will go.  There’s a website that actually rates the folks who put out mock drafts called The Huddle Report.  There you’ll see that Gosselin is sort of the Michael Jordan of mock drafts.  (Side note – My boy Tommy from Scouts Notebook is tied for 15th, not bad considering that The Huddle Report rates over 120 people.  If Gosselin is the Michael Jordan of NFL mock drafts, I guess that would make Tommy sort of the Kevin McHale of mock drafts?)  Anyway, not to get off track here, the point is… Rick Gosselin is the balls.

Blogging the Boys, meanwhile, is a team-optimistic Cowboys site. It’s probably the most widely read and popular Cowboys fan blog on the internet. The last 5 months, they’ve amassed just shy of 7 million site hits.  It’s updated like 5 or 6 times per day, and the content, more often than not, is excellent.  It’s my primary source for Cowboys news.

Alright Jimmy, so get to the freaking point already.

Sorry.  OK, so Thursday night, I posted that the Cowboys were lucky to beat a couple of terrible teams the past two weeks (the Redskins and Dolphins).  I thought it was a pretty obvious and vanilla proclamation, frankly.  I mean, against the Skins, they were at the mercy of the Redskins’ kicker in OT, and against Miami, they were outplayed for the majority of the game, but were gifted 7 points after a flukey botched shotgun snap that was recovered by Dallas inside the Miami 5 yard line.  A rather large debate ensued in the comment section over whether or not those two wins were lucky or not.  Cowboys fans said no.  Fans of everyone else said yes.

Cowboy-hating was the diagnosis, I was even challenged to find a legitimate, unbiased writer that felt the same way.  Ask and ye shall receive:

Here’s the aforementioned Gosselin’s take on the Redskins game:

On whether the Cowboys’ win could be called “gutsy”:

Gosselin: Did you say gutsy or lucky? Unbelievable that they came away win a win. Washington comes out here, their best running back’s not playing, their best wide receiver’s not playing, their best tight end’s not playing. Rex Grossman gets benched earlier in the year for ineptness. To come out with the No. 27 ranked offense and a five-game losing streak, they had no business being in this game, and they’re kicking a field goal to win it in overtime. That was shameful, but the Cowboys always seem to play to their level of competition. If the Redskins are bad, they’re going to play bad. If the Patriots are good, they’re going to play good. I’ve never seen a team quite like this where they play to the level of whoever they’re playing against.

That’s pretty straightforward, I’d say.

Here’s Blogging the Boys’ Cowboys-Dolphins game recap.  First paragraph:

The word “luck” isn’t specifically used there and I certainly don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth, so I’ll just let you be the judge if that sounds an awful lot like an acknowledgement of luck.

So there.

5 – Stuhpid

I was in the grocery store the other day, and a fly landed on the face of an elderly woman behind me in line.  I punched the fly, but in the process my hand also inadvertantly struck the elderly woman, knocking her unconscious, and leaving me with a bloody hand.  To stop the bleeding, I reached into her purse, found her wallet, grabbed as many 20 dollar bills as I could find and wrapped up my bloody hand.  I then sprinted out of the store to the safe confines of my home.

4 – Best 7-4 team in the conference

Of the 4 NFC teams with 7-4 records, Atlanta clearly looks like the best of the bunch.  After a slow start to the season, they’re 6-2 in their last 8, with those losses coming to the Packers, and the Saints in OT. No shame in that.  They have virtually no chance of making any serious noise in the playoffs, but for the purposes of this hierarchy, they’re ensconced in the 4 spot.

3 – Tough road loss in Baltimore

Absurd assignment for the Niners last week.  The NFL made them fly 6 hours cross country on a short week so that they could have a brother vs brother game on Thanksgiving.  The NFL put a storyline ahead of common sense, and that’s ridiculously unfair to San Fran.  Then the stripes hosed them out of a long TD on a garbage chop block call.  Tough team.  They’ll bounce back.

If given the choice of any coach in the NFL to take over my team, I think the most that would roll off the tongue the quickest for most people would be Bill Belichick. I'd give Sean Payton heavy consideration.

2 – Showtime

I’ve been flip-flopping the Saints and Niners all season in this 2 spot, but i think it’s pretty easy to see which team is truly more likely to make a deep playoff run.  Here’s what I wrote in my little weekly NFC East trash talk thing at the Washington Post:

No idea how the Giants are going to cover Colston, Graham, Moore, Henderson, Meachem, Sproles, etc.  Sean Payton is a master at exploiting bad matchups, and great as a story as he may be, Mark Herzlich is going to be Payton’s target.  To make matters worse, Payton has had 2 weeks to figure out how to exploit the Giants D.    It could get ugly.

Every once in a blue moon I get stuff right.

1 – Still the best

1. home says:

Just killing some in between class time on Digg and I discovered your article . Not usually what I desire to read about, but it surely was absolutely price my time. Thanks.

2. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

3. Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my site so i got here to go back the favor?.I am trying to to find things to enhance my web site!I assume its good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

4. You’re actually a good webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job in this subject!

5. Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include almost all vital infos. Iíd like to see more posts like this.

6. a3377085 says:

I’ve said that least 3377085 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

7. Wonderful web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you for your effort!

8. … [Trackback]…

[…] There you will find more Infos: bloggingthebeast.com/2011/11/29/nfc-obituaryhierarchy-with-week-12-in-the-books/ […]…

9. Dead written articles , Genuinely enjoyed reading .

10. Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

11. Bette Arrick says:

Good stuff. I even believe all of it except this post

12. It’s perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I may I want to counsel you few interesting issues or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things approximately it!

13. Уважаемые пользователи! Предлагаем Вам посетить интернет магазин фирменой детской одежды от ведущих мировых брендов Prenatal и Ranieri. Интернет магазин “Малинки” – это то что нужно Вам и Вашему малышу.

14. Free Hosting says:

F*ckin? tremendous issues here. I am very happy to peer your post. Thanks a lot and i am taking a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

15. Travail de Yesturdays pour le demain – un regard à quelques exemples…

Noté cet exemple, par l’intermédiaire de arnold halign dessus linkedin et imaginez-le pour être extrêmement instructif et trop le point…

16. Sona Maita says:

I never wondered about easter bunny origins, thanks for sharing this!

17. Joe D says:

cowboys remind me of early season giants.

you know, when we were all saying giants were lucky to be winning playing like that…

fans said “rather be lucky, we’re awesome blah blah.”

now nyg isn’t getting gifted games and they are singing the same suck tune us eagles fans are

Dallas is gonna be there too eventually. The NFC east is a terrible terrible division

18. Fred Smith says:

I love the time of year when all that is left for the fans of horrible teams is trying to make themselves feel better by discrediting teams that are winning.

Hey, remember when this blog was started essentially to trumpet the Eagles? It’s not quite as fun anymore, is it?

1. slandog says:

I don’t believe that’s why Jimmy started it. I believe he started it to talk about all the NFC East teams, post articles from each team (some his opinion, some from each teams websites), etc.

I’m not going to speak for Jimmy but I think that’s why he started this site. So “trumpet the Eagles” I don’t think that’s the initial reason for this site.

1. youngwiz says:

“im not going to speak for jimmy, but this is why jimmy does what he does”

lol

2. Fred Smith says:

Let’s take a look at what was posted. Early season was all about how awesome the Eagles are, and articles about how the Redskins are inferior to the Eagles second string, etc. As the Giants assumed the division lead, it was posts about how they didn’t earn their victories. Now, the Cowboys have the division lead, and the posts on them are about how they didn’t earn their victories. In between, typical Eagles fan passive aggressive self loathing and arrogance.

2. Averaging around 15-20 posts per week. Wrote 11 posts in the last 7 days, a span that included a 4 day vacation to Bermuda with the wife, and a major holiday.

Doing just fine, and happy you’re still reading 🙂

1. RogerPodacter says:

strange that this guy would keep coming around if he doesnt like what he reads. whatever pays the bills, though right jimmy!

19. Gary says:

Under Atlanta: “After a slow start to the season, their 6-2 in their last 8…”

Ahhhhh. Sorry to nitpick, that stuff just always bothers me.

Also, I think you’re not being totally fair to the Bears. The Raiders are a pretty good team, the game was in Oakland, it was Hanie’s first game starting, and they only lost by 5. Hanie didn’t look good but he’ll get more comfortable and I think they’ll be alright behind their defense. I think they beat Dallas and maybe Detroit on a neutral field right now.

1. Crap. Rare “their-they’re-there” error. Bad job by me. Fixed.

2. slandog says:

The Bears are OK and Hanie will get better probably with more starts. But he’s a backup for a reason. He will be decent, but I think the Bears take a big step back without Cutler.

20. retired jim says:

Wish the Eagles had some of that Cowboys luck!!! Let’s see how all their great moves are so far:
    – Vick “C” – This is the same old Vick we saw with the Falcons. Will never take you to the Super Bowl. And we are stuck with him for a few more years.
    – Asomugha “C” – Even though they have mis-used him, he still has not been the shut down corner we wanted.
    – DRC “F” – Didn’t anyone watch any film of this guy??
    – Steve Smith “F” – Giant are rolling on the ground laughing.
    – Babin “B” – Brought in for sacks and has delivered. Too many mistakes for an “A” though.
    – Danny Watkins “C” – Seems to be getting better. But still a poor pick based on his age.
    – Jarrett “F” – Might be better some day but you expect more from a #2 pick at safety.
    – Castillo “F” – can you give a lower grade than an “F”. True meaning of thinking with your heart and not your brain.
    That’s my take on the new guys that were going to take the Eagles to the Super Bowl.

FIRE ANDY

1. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

Geeez. Did someone retire from the Happy Division and take a Job at the Sour Plant? Wow, man. Beyond being horribly negative, you’re also grading everyone poorly.
      Vick isnt having a horrible year. Same old Vick? C’mon man. You’re crazy. He may not be playing quite as well as last year, but he certainly isnt the Vick from Atlanta….
      Asomugha- He’s misused. How can he be faulted for that? Ever tried to brush your teeth with a spoon? Its not good. But it isnt the sppons fault….
      Smith- Isnt used enough to be graded. I believe we signed him to keep him from the GMen. I also dont think he’s 100% yet.
      Babin- Playing well. B is fair.
      DRC- Admittted and agreed. He looks horrible.
      Watkins- Is playing really well. Slow start, but playing great the past month and a half.
      I refuse to grade a rookie….
      Castillo- I refuse to grade him until he’s fired. Then i will give him his F.

1. retired jim says:

Actually, Jay, you pretty much agree with everything except Vick. Take a look at what he has done this year. His stats are not good. He has missed parts of games and now onto his third straight game that he’s out. The biggest problem here is the fact that Kolb was over-rated by the Eagles (Cardinals too). We desparately need to have a quality QB ready to go in the next few years.

1. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

Where i disagree….
          Vick- Yes he’s missed games, but when he’s played, he’s been good. C is too harsh. He didnt lose us any games on his own this year.
          Nnamdi- Misused. He can and has shown to be the NA we wanted. But he cant do that in zone. thats another knock on Juan, not NA.
          Jarrett- Rookie (and no offseason)
          Smith – Isnt fully rehabbed.
          Watkins- The man cant change his age.

I agree on…
          Babin
          DRC
          Castillo

21. KD says:

Wow Jimmy. I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt on many occasions… but c’mon man.

I told you in the last thread, I asked Rabble specifically with no qualifiers and no background to our discussion here. Did you think that the win over Miami was a luck win. He unequivocally said no.

I also stated on several occasions that no one was disputing categorizing the Redskins win was, in fact, a luck win.

But this?

Cool.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Haha, why are you so bothered by JimmyK calling it a lucky win?
      He’s an Eagles fan man…it is what it is…I said quite a few Giants wins this year were lucky.

Just take the lucky wins as they come.

1. KD says:

It’s not that- I’m (obviously) a fan of long, drawn out debates.

But outright ignoring what has been said, and invoking our site’s writers to falsely support his position when he’s been told that wasn’t in fact the case…

I’d like to think we bloggers have an unspoken moral code amongst ourselves. That’s just bad etiquette to the 10th degree, IMHO.

No one debated the Redskins win was lucky, yet he’s acting as if we did. Not a single writer at Jimmy’s level (and I hold Jimmy’s writing skills in high regard) or above, considered the Miami victory a lucky win. I challenged all to find one, and the only one he could find is the quote of Rabble above, in which Rabble unequivocally told me he wasn’t saying it the way Jimmy is spinning.I brought this to Jimmy’s attention, and he ignored it, and wrote an entire article.

But… again… cool. Last I’m speaking on the subject.

1. Smitty2K3 says:

Of course Rabble isn’t going to admit to you (a Cowboys blogger) that his point was in agreement with Jimmy (an Eagles blogger). Instead I will take the excerpt above for what it appears to be and that is that he thought the Cowboys were lucky to escape Miami (well, really Dallas) with a win. He even says

“If not for a gift touchdown at the end of the first half, …, Dallas might not have been close enough for Romo’s heroics to matter much.”

That, to me, sounds like he’s saying if Dallas wasn’t lucky enough to get that gift touchdown then Dallas would’ve lost. Thus… lucky win.

2. Pro Football Focus is a site you reference quite a bit. Here’s what they had to say:

Again, first paragraph:

“Another Thanksgiving, another Cowboys victory. For the fifth time in the last six years the Cowboys’ celebrated Thanksgiving with a victory that, in terms of performance, was eerily reminiscent of late season games in seasons past – even if the result didn’t match. The Cowboys can, to an extent, count themselves fortunate to have walked away from this game with the win. The Dolphins had the better of the game and the measure of the Cowboys but some costly errors lost it for them.”

Need we continue down this path?

No idea what you’re talking about as far as etiquette either. His words are his words. They weren’t presented out of context. I offered my interpretation of those printed words, and encouraged the audience to do the same. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. So we don’t have to scroll up, here they are again:

“For the second game in a row, the watchword was “whew!” Again, the Cowboys muddled about against a seemingly inferior team only to put the game on Tony Romo’s back in the final frames, pulling out a victory. Against Washington, the Cowboys appeared to be the better team; on Thursday, the Dolphins were the better squad. If not for a gift touchdown at the end of the first half, after DeMarcus Ware recovered an arrant shotgun snap, Dallas might not have been close enough for Romo’s heroics to matter much.”

He says:

A) The Dolphins were the better team.
          B) If not for a gift TD, Dallas may not have been in a position to win the game late.

…which was the basic point of my initial post.

Add “A” and “B” together, and in my vernacular, I call that “lucky,” but I tend to be a little more blunt than most. Other vernaculars may vary.

1. Steve D. says:

The PFF quote says “fortunate” not “lucky”. That clearly doesn’t count and you still haven’t quoted anyone that said the Miami win was “lucky”.

2. youngwiz says:

way to argue about one game specifically, get called out to find an unbiased respected opinion, gloat about how you found one, and then have his statement be about a completely different game.

lol well played

1. Kenata says:

Also funny that the fight is about a won game by the Cowboys, who are now (lucky or not) in first place. I’ll take it. hah! Maybe you’ll be “lucky” enough to escape Seattle with a W.. but… who knows 😀

3. slandog says:

Haha, so he told you.

Tom Brady one time told me that I’m the greatest QB he’s ever seen…….REALLY HE DID KD!!!!

2. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

Perhaps you’re skewing the definition of lucky. Its not like they guessed a Lottery number. They played the game, and yes, they scored more points….
      BUT….
      The Boys’ relied on mistakes (unforced mistakes) in order to win the past 2 games. I consider them getting a W lucky for that reason.

3. Brian says:

You do realize that the entire “find me one national writer that said x” is the appeal to authority fallacy in and of itself, right?

I’ll ask you this, point blank. If Matt Moore had caught the ball, and the Boys weren’t gift wrapped a TD, do you think they still win the game?

I understand that this is, to some extent, a violation of the pre-determined outcome fallacy, but whatever.

22. Free Plax says:

9-7 looks like it might take the NFC East this year, so the eggs should come out of the graveyard at least till they loose thier 8th game.

1. They’re done. No heart.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Yea…what I saw against the Pats reminded me of the Boys/Packers game last year. Is it possible they could run the table? Certainly…They’re talented enough too…I saw quit in their eyes last game though. There’s no coming back from that. Winning a game or a few won’t be an issue from talent alone, but if the team gets down to anyone, I’m sure we’ll see those same “quitting eyes”…aka…Mike Jenkins pulling up on a hit to save a TD in garbage time is what we’ll see from the team.

1. DerfDiggy says:

I type too fast/careless for my own good. Excuse the bad grammar y’all!

2. Free Plax says:

Agreed, but after watching last nights G-men game I can pretty much say the same for them too, As for the Cowboys, they look like a bad team too, although a bad team with a much easier schedule. Vick and Maclin come back maybe… like I said it’s a tad to early to put them in the graveyard

Agreed, unless they go and win the next three, they have to stay in the graveyard. However, you have an easy title for them if they do win the next three… BACK FROM THE DEAD!?

4. Gary says:

Maybe they’ll pay the Wizard of Oz a visit on their way to Seattle.

23. Smitty2K3 says:

Am I crazy to think the Eagles aren’t dead yet? (Ok, you can just say yes, but hear me out).

After seeing the Cowboys get outplayed by awful teams the last two weeks and seeing the Giants upcoming schedule, I still think 9-7 could potentially get the Eagles in.

Here are the upcoming schedules for both teams:

NYG:
    GB
    @DAL
    WAS
    @NYJ
    DAL

DAL:
    @ARI
    NYG
    @TB
    PHI
    @NYG

A loss to the Packers is almost inevitable for the Giants, making them 6-6. Even if the Giants sweep the Cowboys they’d have to beat WAS and NYJ. Winnable games, but neither are pushovers.

If the Giants sweep the Cowboys and assuming the Eagles win out (big “if”) that would give the Cowboys their 3rd loss making them 9-7 at best. Even if the Cowboys split with Giants and lose to Eagles, they’d have to beat both ARI and TB. And seeing them play against WAS and MIA, that is no easy task. Having all three teams tied at 9-7 is still possible, meaning the Eagles would have the tiebreaker by virtue of division record.

All of this is crazy talk and a long-shot because seeing the Eagles win more than 2 games in a row is very unlikely. But after experiencing the 2008 Eagles season and seeing how mediocre the Cowboys and Giants are, I’m going to continue to believe that anything is possible.

Ok, now you can call me crazy.

1. You’re crazy. But sometimes the NFL doesn’t make any sense, sooooooo….

Only thing crazier is assuming the Giants have any more sleight of hand deceptions and trickery left in the bag.

HINT: THEY DO NOT

1. I have to hand it to you. You’ve kept your expectations for your team in check all season. That’s something I along with 99% of Eagles, Redskins, and Giants fans have not done all season, and it’s something that many Dallas fans are currently not doing.

It’s fun to have high expectations, but the blow is softened when our teams inevitably fail (2007 aside, of course).

1. DerfDiggy says:

” and it’s something that many Dallas fans are currently not doing.”

Howso? I think you’re down on Dallas a little bit more than you need to be..Yea they’re a hated division rival, yea they haven’t looked great the past 2 weeks…But they’ve won, they’ve beaten bad teams by blowouts, and hung around with teams that are better than them. They’re a middle of the road team, that could quite possibly beat any team in the league. It’s really that simple. You make it seem like they’re a bad team. They’re not. Will the Boys lose to the Packers or Saints in the playoffs? Probably…Are they capable of hanging with any team in the NFC…definitely. They still have a whole month to play their best football, get some key injured players back(Get Ball off the field, specifically)…and with that, there’s hope…You understand that right? You’re so caught up with the “Two lucky wins”, and probably the blowout loss to the Eagles you’re ignoring the fact that they’ve played pretty decent ball for the majority of the year. Not great, not bad.

1. Smitty2K3 says:

“They’ve beaten bad teams by blowouts.”

Huh??? The Cowboys beat the Skins by 3 in OT because of two missed FG’s. Then they beat the Dolphins by 1 point. They were not blowouts. I’ll give you the blowouts of the Bills and Rams, but the two most recent wins were lucky and proved their mediocrity.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Well if you give me the Bills and the Rams….then that would make my statement true? No…? What part of that statement isn’t?

1. slandog says:

So you making your statement 50% true proves your point? It also proves that they aren’t as good as you think they are.

“They’ve beaten bad teams by blowouts.” That statement is somewhat true, because two other bad teams, they needed a little bit of luck to get them.

2. DerfDiggy says:

Which I stated in the sentence before that. To which supports my overall point is that the Cowboys are a middle of the road team. I don’t understand what you’re point is…Are you arguing just to argue?

3. Turd.Ferguson says:

I think it depends on what your expectations are. You’re being optimistic saying that they can hang with any team in the NFC (Saints and Packers, really?), but acknowledge that they’ve played poorly the last 2 weeks. So I’d say they’re a 9-7 team. While they may be able to beat any team in the NFC (not my statement, yours) they’re also capable of losing to any team in the NFC. So that puts them right in the middle at 8-8. Now they’re probably a little better than average so let’s say they’re a 9-7 team (maybe 10-6 given their schedule). Do you think they’re better than that? Because I haven’t seen too much to make me think that they are. If you say yes, then I’d say you’re expectations are a little high.

4. BigTTech says:

Clearly, Jimmy wins this argument Derf.

5. DerfDiggy says:

I haven’t said a single thing about records. I said they’re a middle of the pack team with a great shot at winning the division and getting some healthy bodies back for the last month of the season. I think they’re capable of playing with any team in the league in January…That’s probably my bias, whereas you guys probably think they’d get smoked. My overall point is that they’ve won some close games(see. lucky)…won some games by blowouts, and lost some games where they played well enough to win(Pats, Jets, Lions)…Lost a single game badly..(Eagles). That says to me there’s work to be done, and they have an opportunity to improve…That’s where the optimism comes in. That’s all I’m saying.

My expectations going into this season was a 8-8/9-7 team..2nd or 3rd in the division. After a disappointing 6-10, a rebuilding of the line, no real moves on defense, and releasing or loss of a few players…The team is ahead of schedule in my eyes.

*shrugs*

Y’all see struggle & luck…I see adversity & fortitude….America’s Team is back…

“How bout them Cowboys!?!”

2. Smitty2K3 says:

@slandog Exactly. The statement is 50% true. Which means it’s not true.

And @ DerfDiggy You’re right in saying they’re a middle of the road team. Thus they’re a mediocre team as we’ve all been saying. And my only point to my argument was that you’re wrong in saying Jimmy is down on Dallas a little more than he should be. I think Jimmy has been calling it exactly as it is. Dallas is very lucky to be 7-4, just like the Giants were lucky to be 6-2 at one point.

1. DerfDiggy says:

OK.

2. slandog says:

@Smitty2K3, that’s what I was thinking about his statement, that he’s only 50% correct.

So DerfDiggy, i’m not on here just to argue. I’m just stating that your statement isn’t as solid as you’re thinking. Yes, they beat two bad teams pretty easily, but they also barely won against two bad teams as well.

Don’t get upset because I called you out.

3. DerfDiggy says:

Who’s upset? It’s pretty simple… I pointed out that they struggled the past 2 weeks. That’s a statement.. I also pointed out that they blew out bad teams.. That’s a statement. They’re both true. You’re arguing semantics… For what? I dunno. I don’t care about style points. My ultimate point is that the Boys are a middle of the road team with upside. That’s why fans are optimistic. The eagles fans here look at the past 2 weeks and think mediocre with no upside. That’s optimism of a different type. Difference of opinion and outlook.

Enjoy the remainder of your season. Jimmy should be updating the Eagles draft prospects here soon.

4. You’re chippy today, Derf. I like it.

5. DerfDiggy says:

Haha, I hate semantic arguments. If you pick and parse out certain things in any statement they can be taken out of context. I don’t think anything I said was unreasonable… But then I see..

“omg you didn’t blow out EVERY bad team”

Cool? I never said that, read my post in context and I’m sure most will agree. Nothing fanboyish about saying the Boys can compete in the playoffs. We just have a difference in outlooks on the team going forward.

No biggie.

As i try to explain to my fellow Giants fan, I am not a pessimist, but a realist. From the injuries to the loss of free agents to the injuries again, things looked grim from the get go. Eli has played well, and he has managed to will a few wins where losses seemed likely, but an injured ravage D, a partially revamped (and now injured) o-line, and only one decent RB option is going to catch up with your team eventually. Right now I think they end the season at 8-8, which seems about right to me. based on all the factors of this season.

I do admit I got my feel for the Eagles completely wrong, but I judged the rest of the NFC East correctly (mediocre and down). Cowboys SHOULD be able to put this thing to bed in Week 14 with a W against the G-Men, but as this division has shown this year, any of these teams can fail at a moment’s notice, so who knows.

3. Smitty2K3 says:

True that. Brisulph is as objective as they come. Kudos to him.

I like to believe I’m a pretty realistic and objective fan. But for some reason I refuse to start rooting for losses and giving up on the season… yet.

24. DerfDiggy says:

Cowboys are lucky….but sometimes a little luck is needed to get where you’re going. If they turn it around and some players return healthy…and they continue to win games. Nobody(except JimmyK) will remember those 2 lucky wins in November.

Eagles are going to beat the Cowboys though in December though. Boys will still win the NFC East..but there will be question marks all over the place.

🙁

1. You’ll remember them. And you’ll point them out to me, haha.

25. Reggie says:

The old lady with the fly on her face is histerical.

1. I wouldn’t know if she’s hysterical or not. I knocked that bitch out and took her money.

1. Immynimmy says:

Not really. I mean, now everyone is gonna think that Eagles fans slap old ladies and steal their money!

1. Turd.Ferguson says:

Don’t we? It’s been a while since I’ve had a good old lady slappin’. I’ve got the itch

26. Tracer Bullet says:

More likely we’ll be calling him “Eagles starting linebacker.”

1. RogerPodacter says:

i was thinking the same thing. can’t wait to see the birds draft this ‘moomoo’ guy this year…

27. Will says:

Cowboys lucky? Sure. But all NFL fans should know that the fine line between great teams and good teams is luck swings in their favor

28. Joe says:

As far as the lucky stuff goes, if the last two wins were lucky for the cowboys, then i guess the Lions and Jet losses were “lucky” for the other teams…….rather be lucky and 7-4 and in first place, but luck does play a roll, look at the bears, they were the luckiest team on the planet last year and road it to an NFC Championship game

1. Lol, and away we go!

2. For the record, by the way… Yes, the Jets especially were extremely lucky to win that game. That, however, doesn’t make Dallas unlucky to have lost it.

1. slandog says:

Good read Jimmy. It looks like you win once again on the lucky article!

Sorry man I couldn’t help it. I’m on your balls again I guess according to KD with the Cowboys being “lucky”

2. Joe says:

While I will agree that the ‘boys made the skins look like a better team than they have been , the Fins have been doing well leading up to the Cowboys game, three wins in a row is tough to do in the NFL (even if the teams you are playing are not playoff material) as far as unrealistic expectations for the boys, at this point I expect them to win the Div, beat the bears or falcons in the first round and lose to GB in the second……time will tell, I could be very wrong, but then again, there are others that had higher expectations for their teams in the off season that have not lived up to their fans expectations