10 random thoughts on the craptastic Eagles

Last year, the Philadelphia Soul invited me to cover an open tryout they were holding, Vince Papale style.  I thought it’d be fun, so I went.  For those of you outside the Philly area, the Philadelphia Soul are an arena league team owned by former Eagles QB Ron Jaworski, and Bon Jovi.  The plan was that I was going to embarrass myself by running some drills, and other measurables like the 40, broad jump, high jump, etc.  I was expecting the talent there to be somewhere between decent ex-high school and college players, to something out of a scene from the “Invincible” episode on “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”  I was surprised how intense the competition was, and how many legitimate athletes they had there that could actually play.  It felt kind of wrong to make a joke of mixing in with the other guys trying to legitimately make the team (not to mention a living), so I sat out all the drills and only ran my embarrassing 40.

It wasn’t their first open tryout of the sort – they’d had one the previous year as well.  I was BS’ing with the PR director for the Soul, and he was telling me that they had a guy at the last tryout that ran something sick like a 4.23.  Track star in college or something.  They had him run it again to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.  It wasn’t.  Then they threw him some passes.  He couldn’t catch.  Or tackle.  He didn’t make the team.  Imagine that – guy runs a 4.23, can’t make an Arena League team.  That’s all I really have to say about that.

It wasn’t just the dropped passes for DeSean yesterday, either.  First, it was the way he dropped them – very reminiscent of a guy that used to play in Philly.  But there was a punt that DeSean could have hustled to get under to fair catch, but he just watched as it landed and rolled an additional 10+ yards.  Saw another play where Jason Avant caught a pass and was running up field.  DeSean saw the catch, put his head down and slowed his route to a jog, never even entertaining the thought of going to block somebody.  Zero effort.  I’m sure there were instances all day of similar plays, but those two just caught my eye without me even looking for it.

I still don’t know for sure yet if Andy Reid needs to go after this abomination of a season.  I’d previously maintained that I’d wait it out until the end of the season to make that call myself, but I’m certainly leaning one way.  All diehard Eagles fans are emotional right now, as they should be, and that’s when fans tend to make silly, snap judgments.  And that’s what I expect some national know-nothing talking heads to say this morning.  That Eagles fans were wrong to chant “Fire Andy” yesterday.  That Andy Reid is the best coach in franchise history.  That Reid took the team to 5 NFC Championship games.  That Eagles fans should just be lucky they’re not the Cleveland Browns.  And on and on.

If this were 2010 and the team was 4-7, with Kevin Kolb and the young but exciting Eagles that were expected to go through “growing pains,” they’d have more of a case to criticize the fanbase for calling for Reid’s head.  This year is far different.  Expectations were lofty, and they weren’t even remotely close to being met.  The players have lacked effort.  They’ve lacked intelligence.  They’ve lacked heart.  If the fans want change, I can’t blame them for voicing their opinion.  The product the Eagles have put on the field this season has been atrocious.  Frankly, I don’t think the boos were loud enough yesterday.

Kudos to Jason Avant, Brian Rolle, and some other guys out there yesterday.  They played their asses off in a blowout.  I’m sure there were other guys as well, but I didn’t even get to see the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter because CBS rightfully cut away from a blowout.  Former champion Cullen Jenkins seems to get it, too.  I’d like to go back to watch that tape just to see what guys kept battling, and which guys quit.  Don’t know if I’ll have the time or even the stomach for that.  Maybe during the offseason.

Memo to Vince Young: You’re 6’5, 232. Julian Edelman is 5’10, 198.  (By the way, I think NFL.com is being generous with those measurements, as in, VY looks like he’s over 232, and Edelman ain’t 198).  Plus, you know, Edelman is a wide receiver.  Maybe you just put your head down and run him over instead of trying to do a little pee pee dance around him.

Don’t be surprised if the Eagles go out and draft a safety in the 2nd round for the 3rd consecutive year.  They do, after all, have (2) 2nd round picks.  Last year, Nate Allen was looking like a strong DROY candidate early in the season.  Plus, I doubt he’s 100% from the serious knee injury he suffered last year, but holy cow… what a disaster of a game he had yesterday.  Oy vey.  And that’s not his first one, by the way.  Kurt Coleman, meanwhile, isn’t a starting NFL safety, in my opini0n.  I like him as a reserve and a good locker room guy, but not much more.  I have no idea what Jaiquawn Jarrett is.  If the Redskins don’t franchise tag LaRon Landry, the Eagles might want to think about making a run at him.  His physicality would be a nice addition to the center field type player that Nate Allen is.  Then again, the Eagles are already the dumbest team in the NFL… not sure Landry would really help in that regard.  And am I really calling Nate Allen a center fielder?  Maybe a center fielder that lost the ball in the sun, and the ball lands 20 feet behind him?  OK, now I’ve just taken an initial thought, and gotten out of control with rambling incoherence.  See what you do to me, Eagles?

Speaking of draft picks, if the season ended today, the Eagles would pick 9th.  The Redskins would pick 7th.

I’ve soured on Jason Babin.  Good pass rusher, but 9 freaking penalties this year?  Really?  Not a smart player.

Not to nitpick one specific play call in a complete and utter shitfest on both sides of the ball, but why is Chad Hall carrying the football… ever?  It’s not like LeSean McCoy could have been tired.  I mean… he only got 10 carries.  But hey, when you can give the ball to a slower player that has zero career broken tackles on 2nd and 15, you kind of have to, right?

Totally fitting that the “Fi-re An-dy” chants began after the 4th and 1 designed rollout play that cuts the field in half and never works.

1. breaking bad says:

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your put up is just spectacular and i can think you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Well with your permission let me to clutch your feed to stay updated with impending post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

2. Admiring the commitment you put into your blog and detailed information you offer. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material. Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

3. A person necessarily lend a hand to make critically posts I would state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular submit amazing. Wonderful job!

4. naturally like your web site but you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to inform the truth then again I will surely come again again.

5. Nana says:

It is a little something I must find more information about, thanks for the publish.

6. Hi there, I discovered your web site by means of Google even as searching for a similar subject, your website came up, it seems good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

7. Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a applicable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny transparent idea

8. I have learn a few good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you put to make this sort of wonderful informative site.

9. Stacy Ginter says:

I like the helpful information you provide on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once more here regularly. I am somewhat certain I will be informed lots of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

10. I need money, and how to make money fast with personal loans.

11. Tommy Ewy says:

Hi, I must say that you have made some good points in the post. I performed searches on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog. Thanks for sharing this information.

12. Thanks for some other fantastic article. Where else could anyone get that type of info in such an ideal means of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the look for such information.

13. HTC Sync says:

Thank you so much for giving everyone a very terrific opportunity to read from this blog. It is usually so pleasurable and packed with fun for me personally and my office fellow workers to search the blog on the least 3 times weekly to see the newest things you have got. Of course, I am also usually satisfied with all the great things you serve. Selected 3 ideas in this posting are particularly the very best I’ve ever had.

14. […] did 10 random thoughts on the craptastic Eagles yesterday. Time for the Giants to take their […]

I demand 10 random thoughts about the craptastic Giants after last night.

16. Ryan says:

I feel like the biggest problem this year has been Leadership and Motivation. There aren’t any guys on this team that seem like they want to take charge, to smack a guy on the back of the helmet and tell him to get into the game. Our stars want to complain about not being wanted by the staff or not play hard because they aren’t being paid. Where is the Jeremiah Trotter, the Brian Dawkins? There are so many dumb mistakes week in and out, defensive penalties on 3rd downs being the most painful and sadly no surprise to see 2 or 3 times a game. I love Andy but Tommy did a piece on Reid’s Lieutenants (http://igglesblitz.com/?s=reid%27s) and it has me thinking how much of it was them? I would love to have Shurmur or Rivera back on the staff. I have always loved John Harbaugh. At this point I’m selfishly hoping Spags gets fired and we can bring him back to run our D, but as long as our best player/the NFL’s leading rusher continues to have 10 carry games there is nothing that can be done. 3-1 when he has 20+ carries, 1-6 when he has less than 20…

17. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

Dont be bashful “Track Star”……
    Be proud of your speed.

18. tdSHIPS says:

Two years in a row the previous winner of the Beast takes a complete dump the following year. Hard to pin it on any 1 or 2 factors, but looks like both DAL and PHL from those seasons had a collection of parts that didn’t really fit together all that well.

19. Jalarsen1 says:

I’m done with this team!

There are no solutions right now, because there are no consistent problems. Every single guy has dropped the ball, missed an assignment, committed a dumb penalty, and the coaching is not covering the weaknesses at all!

Kudos to the Patriots for adjusting their plan. They fell behind by 10, made adjustments and fought back. I don’t remember the last time this team made in-game adjustments, at all. It seems like Reid makes a plan during the week, and sticks to it come hell or high water. Makes him so good after the bye because he has a long time to develop a really good game plan…but if the plan doesn’t work, he doesn’t change it.

How many times did our first defender just whif of the tackle? Every one of Brady’s big scrambles came after our of our guys contacted him behind the line.

Ridiculous! (I rambled…I know)

1. DerfDiggy says:

Done with the team? Forever? Forever ever? For ever ever ever!?!?

20. rage114 says:

A few things:

1) I am not too happy with Desean either. But, if you see the train wreck coming and you do nothing about it, can you really blame everything on the conductor? IMO, no. Desean has been clear that he was going to make “business decisions” on the field. And he has. I have a hard time not placing some of the blame on the Eagles FO and coaching staff for not anticipating this and mitigating the problem.

2) Castillo has to go. I appreciate his hard work and I really think he has put everything he has into his job. But it was a disaster. Make him a DB coach or quality control coach or something. Give the main job to someone with experience.

3) I like Reid. I think the players do play for HIM and I think that is important for a head coach. A matter of fact, that might be the MOST important aspect of being a HC. I would like him to stay.

4) However, a few years ago, I was calling for him to give up the play calling duties. I was happy when Marty starting calling them. But it is obvious that Marty has been sitting too close to Big Red now and the playcalling is becoming just as gimicky and stale. Marty has to go. Fresh blood is needed with a new approach. And he has to be someone established. Someone that won’t back down from AR.

5) The Eagles need LB. I think everyone knows that. But I am not sure on safeties. I can’t help but think that part of Allen’s problem is the crappy defensive game plans. He just looks lost and he didn’t look like that last year.

————-

I live in Boston. The morning hosts on the local sports radio network were completely dumping on Castillo. To them, it looked like the Eagles didn’t even look at game film of what works against the Patriots. The Patriots struggle against physical defenses their WR specifically struggle against tight bump and run coverages. To them, it looked like the Eagles had no idea who they were playing against. I tend to agree.

1. On point #1, when you speak of “mitigating the problem,” what could they have done?

1. rage114 says:

Well, the easy thing is to sign him to a long term contract….last year. He was well deserving of a raise and it was obvious before the end of 2010 that there was going to be issues.

I understand they tried earlier this month but really, this is somethign that should have been taken care of before the season started at the very latest.

More specifically to present day circumstances, don’t have him return punts if he isn’t going to field them. Don’t draw up crossing routes if you know he is going to have alligator arms.

You can’t have the focal point of an offense be a player that won’t accept being the focal point of the opposing defense.

1. slandog says:

They probably would have signed him before now if Jackson would have realistic thoughts on what his worth is. Even before this season he wasn’t worth the $10 mil I’ve heard thrown around. Maybe 7-8 mil but now it’s not even close to that. He’s showing he’s weak by letting everything around him affect his play.

2. packimop says:

You can’t let a player dictate what he’s going to do on the field based on him not giving a full effort if he’s told to do something he doesn’t want to. That would be setting the worst precedent of all time.

3. JoeW says:

If you don’t draw up crossing routes for Jackson that leaves him outside the hashes and only allows him to go downfield. Defenses already keep a Safety deep to counter his explosiveness downfield.

Agree with packimop on not allowing a player dictate what he will do.

1. rage114 says:

I don’t think the two of you are paying attention. Jackson is already dictating what he is going to do. He isn’t going to field punts if there is a chance he will get lit up and he isn’t going to take hits while running crossing routes.

The problem is the Eagles keep allowing him to make those decisions.

Not doing those things hurts Jackson a lot more than the Eagles. His stock is dropping like a rock because of those decisions.

But the Eagles focut shouldn’t be on being right or showing that Jackson is wrong, it should be on winning. Right now, Jackson is not helping the Eagles win.

21. Reggie says:

Lololol pee pee dance.

22. Sb2bowl says:

Sad, sad day. I didn’t even have it in me yesterday to throw anything at the TV. They just aren’t worth it. I mean, holy freaking crap. Show a little heart, and some balls. We don’t have either.

Actually, now that you mention it, I think my 6 month old black lab pup has more heart. His name is Trotter, go figure.

23. slandog says:

Good summary Jimmy. That was a terrible display of football by the Eagles yesterday.

I don’t want to get rid of AR at all personally. Maybe Juan but not Andy. It looks like a lot of the plays are there. Yesterday Jackson had two dropped TD passes, that punt you mentioned. It also looked like Jackson was open a few other times for some good gains but VY just completely missed him.

So it looks like the plays are their, but the players are just coming up short too often.

I wish we’d get Shady more runs too. Yesterday after getting up 10 early, why not try to eat us some clock. The best defense for Brady is keeping him on the sideline. I know there was still a lot of time left when we had the 10 point lead, but every little bit helps. Eat up some clock, Jackson maybe catch a TD or two and this game is different.

I hope they don’t give up, but they need to play harder. Go out on a good note at least!!

1. Shaun says:

Well said slandog….the playcalling was downright dumb at times. I actually told a buddy of mine after we were up 10-0, “watch this coaching staff is going to find a way to F this lead up” thanks for proving me right F-ing morons

2. PE says:

“Maybe Juan”

Maybe?! MAYBE?!?!?!?! There’s a chance you want him back next year?!!?

1. slandog says:

I only say “maybe” because a lot of times he has the right play called, the players still have to execute. I’ve seen missed tackles, blown assignments, biting on play fakes, etc. You can’t put that on Juan. That is on the players.

Maybe we just draft stupid players.