Chas Henry’s epic fake punt fail

I covered Giants Training Camp this offseason.  One of my notes:

Lawrence Tynes is playing QB in CB drills.  I like that.  When the Eagles kickers aren’t busy kicking, holding, punting, or other kicker-like things, they’re usually just meandering around.  I like that the Giants keep their kickers busy.  Tynes is actually throwing some good balls too.

Reps.  Why don’t the Eagles give Alex Henery and Chas Henry similar jobs in practice?  Well, they’re doing other things.  Here’s a note I jotted down about Eagles kickers in training camp:

Watched (long snapper Jon Dorenbos) squirt Chas Henry in the nuts with a water bottle in camp this year. Instant fan.

OK, so I’m not such a fan of the kickers screwing around anymore.  Reps are everything.  If you don’t throw that much, go in cold, see your gunner completely uncovered, and try to throw him a laser, it’s not going to go well.  If you’re throwing every day in practice, I’d have to imagine those odds go up drastically.  In case you missed it:

The result: The Eagles miss out on a huge play while simultaneously giving the Bears great field position, and Chas Henry earns himself a -42 in “throwing power” in next year’s edition of Madden.

1. My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

2. F*ckin’ awesome things here. I am very glad to see your article. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

3. Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

4. I search your blog from Google, I think your idea is great, I will notified more freind come here to give you a support.

5. Howdy! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!

6. This ends up to be a extremely excellent spot to kill time whilst all of this snowfall retains me inside, thank you for offering me something to read!

7. I have noticed that fees for on-line degree professionals tend to be an awesome value. Like a full Bachelor’s Degree in Communication from The University of Phoenix Online consists of Sixty credits with $515/credit or $30,900. Also American Intercontinental University Online comes with a Bachelors of Business Administration with a total school feature of 180 units and a price of $30,560. Online studying has made taking your diploma been so cool because you can easily earn your current degree through the comfort of your abode and when you finish working. Thanks for all the tips I have really learned through your blog.

8. I loved the post! really enjoyed it, If you need a hand with your SEO just let me know

9. Free Plax says:

By the way Jimmy Vick might have more physical talent but Eli is a much better QB.

1. Vick is better than Eli at some things. Eli is better than Vick at some things. On the whole, I’ll take Vick.

1. Free Plax says:

Vick is not clutch at all, you can have him, once he goes in the tank that’s it. No 4th quarter drives coming from him.

1. What, because of one game he’s not clutch? That’s stupid. Maclin fumbled against San Fran on a game winning drive. Ditto that for Avant, who basically fumbled in Buffalo on a potential game winning drive. That’s on Vick? Fair to say THE EAGLES aren’t clutch? Go right ahead.

I get that you’re all fired up about Eli after Sunday, but you’re getting carried away. You really are.

1. giants fan says:

I don’t know man, it’s not like Vick’s throw on 4th and 10 hit Maclin in the numbers. The dude had to go up and make a great catch before stumbling to the ground and attempting to move forward to move the chains. If Vick makes a good throw there (note there was nobody around Maclin so there wasn’t any need to protect the football from a db there) Maclin would, in all likelihood, move the chains.

I get it’s just one play, but I do think it’s a microcosm of what people mean when they say, Vick isn’t clutch.

2. Free Plax says:

Actually I am not talking about one game I am talking about Vick in his entire career.
            I got a buddy who is a huge Eagles fan we watched the game together last night. We got into a huge Vick discussion, so I will ask you the same thing I asked him, how many times have you seen Vick rally the Eagles for a win in the 4th qtr? the Giants game last year yes, other than that he came up doughnuts on the Vick’s 4th qtr rally or lack of them. So far I have watched 4 Eagles games this year, all losses and in every game the Eagles go into the 4th Qtr winning the game and when the momentum shifts, I never see Vick rally the drops and drive down the field for the winning pts. It’s not like the Eagles are losing by more than one score most of the time.

I admit I didn’t see a lot of Vick in Atlanta but I don’t recall him pulling out a lot of games their either.

1. The second Giants game as you already noted. There was also Houston, the “other” Giants game, Dallas… They were all 4th Q comebacks. That’s 4. And in Week 1, he inherited a sizable deficit against GB and made it interesting.

1. ATLEagle says:

lets add that Brady is obviously crap too, since this week vs the giants he drove down the field to take the lead in the last few minutes, but the TEAM lost. There is a lot more to 4th quarter comebacks than just the QB.

McNabb used to take this heat all the time too. This defense is far worse than what 5 had to put up with as far as not holding leads. This is not entirely a reflection on Vick. Seems to be more likely the result of an offensive minded coach.

2. bdawk4ever says:

Hahaha. Eli is a joke of a QB. He’s average at best.

1. Free Plax says:

Eli>Vick

10. Free Plax says:

I really don’t get that call. Eagles are in a dog fight with the Bears field position is everything in a dog fight. Andy Reid get’s cocky and decides to fake a punt, man that was dumb. Yes if it works Reid is the Hero, but at that point in the game why roll the dice plenty of time left to play good D and get the ball back and correct me if I’m wrong Eagles are down by only 3 at that point. Instead the play doesn’t work and they give the Bears great field position which the Bears than turn into points.

On top of that you just pointed out the Eagles don’t even practice the play, that makes it sound even more dumb.

1. I’m sure they practice the play. That’s not what I said. I haven’t been to a practice since August. I said that the Eagles kickers and punter don’t participate much other than when they’re specifically running STs drills.

1. Free Plax says:

I mis read you sorry, but what’s up with that play calling. Andy Reid is way to cocky for his own good.

1. I think that’s a play the punter can choose to make at the line if the opposition gives it to them. Reid likely didn’t specifically call for a fake punt there.

1. Free Plax says:

understand that, but at that point in the game it’s all about field position, I saw the gunners uncovered too, but why take the chance. Plenty of time left you can pin them deep, play D and get your offense the ball back with good Field position. Instead of giving the Bears a short field.

1. Full blame for the punter from me. I can make that throw 95% of the time. It’s football. There are just some things you have to expect players to be able to do… like throw a 15 yard pass to the widest open player ever. I’d certainly like those odds over my atrocious defense stopping a team that is hanging 30 on us every time we play.

It was a great catch by the punter… but the execution of that throw was just awful. He was probably gone for 6 if that ball got anywhere close to the gunner.