LOL Rob Ryan

Apparently Rob Ryan thinks he’s “the best at what he does.”  I guess it’s kind of open-ended as to what exactly he’s referring to, but let’s just take an educated guess and assume he means “running a defense?”  Here’s the quote:

“I take a lot of pride in my job. I’m the best at what I do. Every once in a while you throw a dud out there. You can’t be great if you can’t come back from one bad game.”

This is Rob Ryan’s 8th season as a defensive coordinator.  His previous 7 full seasons:

Team Overall D Run D Pass D Record
2004 Raiders 30th 22nd 30th 5-11
2005 Raiders 27th 25th 18th 4-12
2006 Raiders 3rd 25th 1st 2-14
2007 Raiders 22nd 31st 8th 4-12
2008 Raiders 27th 31st 10th 5-11
2009 Browns 31st 28th 30th 5-11
2010 Browns 22nd 27th 18th 5-11
Total       30-82

I’ll give him this: He should know a thing or two about bouncing back from duds. His career winning percentage as a defensive coordinator is .366.

1. Canon MP620 says:

you are really a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a fantastic job on this topic!

2. This ends up to become a extremely great destination to eliminate time while this snowfall retains me inside, many thanks for offering me some thing to do!

3. I loved the post! really enjoyed it, If you need a hand with your SEO just let me know

4. artificial christmas tree…

This is very fascinating, You are an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for seeking more of your fantastic post….

5. Rather than produce exactly the same old content you might have taken this subject to a complete new level . Kudos for not following the standard writing crowd.

6. Tummy Tuck Before and After…

[…]following are some url links to websites online which we link to seeing that we feel there’re worth visiting[…]…

7. Acquiring study this I assumed it absolutely was quite beneficial. I value you taking enough time and hard work to place this short article collectively. I the moment yet again locate myself paying strategy to a lot time the two studying and commenting. But so what, it had been nonetheless worthwhile!

8. Loestrin 24 Side Effects…

[…]listed here are several links to internet websites I always connect to seeing that we think they will be seriously worth checking out[…]…

9. Edward says:

Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog! 🙂

10. I love this information presented and possesses given me some type of resolve forpersistance to succeed i genuinely enjoy seeing, so sustain the superb function.

11. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

12. I actually wanted to send a word so as to thank you for all the unique ideas you are giving out at this website. My time consuming internet investigation has now been recognized with incredibly good tips to go over with my co-workers. I would admit that many of us site visitors are unquestionably endowed to exist in a magnificent website with many marvellous people with great ideas. I feel very much fortunate to have seen your entire webpages and look forward to some more amazing moments reading here. Thank you once more for all the details.

13. thank you for this rattling post, I am glad I found this web site on yahoo.

14. )generic name: [u]allegra erwin and creve coeur[/u] class: treated antiemetics, steric reactivar agents, antihistamines, flavus anxiolytics, recreationals and hypnotics1 review(s)rate it! 9.

15. Joe D says:

and as much as I hate to admit it, he has vastly improved a Cowboys defense that has some major holes (especially in the 2ndary).

I think he can get a pass for laying a dud against an offensive mastermind (despite what pundits say about Reid) who has LeSean McCoy, Todd Herremanes, Jason Peters, DeSean jackson, and Jeremy Maclin (arguably all pro bowlers) at his disposal… Besides Ware/Sean and Jay Ratliff I don’t know that I would want any other of their players on the Eagles defense …

16. Joe D says:

To be fair. It’s not like he ever had a major plethora of talent on the Browns OR the Raiders

17. Euler.is.a.pimp says:

I assumed he meant at being a fat loudmouth.

1. packimop says:

I was about to say “the best at talking out his ass,” but you pretty much got it covered.

18. Jason-E says:

Yeah. I remember a lot of Eagles’ fans throwing out the “Why not Ryan” question a lot this offseason (pt 1). The answer is because his defenses are terrible.

1. DerfDiggy says:

haha, so wait, you’d rather Juan Castillo …than Rob Ryan?

I know he’s coaching for a division rival and all….but…..Let’s be serious here sir. Ryan coordinating that defense in Philly would be phenomenal. You know this, I know this…Fact of the matter is…The Cowboys Defense just isn’t that great. Jimmy’s written about it time and time again, it was the 28th(I believe) ranked defense last year..HISTORICALLY bad in terms of all of the Cowboys defenses. They spent little to no money in Free agency, and similarly did little in the draft to address that side of the ball. Ryan got toasted by the Eagles obviously, but he’s done a PHENOMENAL job for what he’s got.

1. Mikesta says:

Eh you cant ask us whether or not we would want Juan or Rob. Rob’s career is obviously longer and he has done an OK job.

1. Mikesta says:

And by OK I mean not good

1. DerfDiggy says:

riiighht…I wasn’t aware we took the overall record to asses d.coord. “His career winning percentage as a defensive coordinator is .366.”
            This is elementary work really. Jimmy I expect better from you. Is he the “Best”…no. Is he a upper echelon DC?… absolutely.

Notice the jump his defenses have made from one year to the next. He’s always literally inherited nearly the worst defense in the league, and by the next year they’re middle of the pack… These teams are ridiculously devoid of talent on typically both sides of the ball(Besides Nmandi…name another defensive player on the Raiders D).

You guys are taking your hate for a divisional rival too seriously. Poll the Eagles fanbase asking would they want Rob as DC, and I’m sure it’s overwhelmingly yes. His mouth gets him into more trouble than not, but to push him as a bad DC is just doing the man an injustice, and I’d say that even if he wasn’t a Cowboys’ coach.

1. Josh says:

Not sure I see the big jump his defenses have made outside of 2005 to 2006. The Browns D did improve, but going from second to last to bottom third isn’t something to write home about. Based on the above rankings for his D’s, I’d find it hard to say he’s upper echelon.

Regardless of all of that, he has been doing a good job in Dallas. Glad it didn’t continue into the eagles game!

1. DerfDiggy says:

I think relativity is important in looking at things. How many 5 win(and below) teams have the talent to be a top 10 defense? Very few…otherwise…they wouldn’t be a 5 win team. Again…everything in perspective, he’s taken a Dallas Defense that was near the bottom of the league, and(despite one game), has played at a top 5 level. That’s pretty admirable….

I think context is half of the equation….Oakland and Cleveland are literally 2 of the worst franchises in the last decade. That’s a problem from the top down…a DC isn’t going to fix those issues.

2. Gary says:

What exactly makes him an upper echelon defensive coordinator? His father’s and his brother’s success? The fact that he talks a lot?

If you think it’s not fair to judge him as a DC yet because he’s never worked with the best talent, fine, but then you can’t go calling him good or “upper echelon.” He’s done nothing to deserve that. And if you’re going to try to give me this season as evidence, first of all that’s a small sample size, and secondly Dallas is 18th in the league in points allowed per game. It was just proven that the former “#1 rush defense” can certainly be run on.

This is one Eagles fan who did not want Rob Ryan as our defensive coordinator. I’m not saying I wanted Juan, but it’s not fair to judge him yet either through seven games of up and down play.

1. DerfDiggy says:

A Raiders team that won 2 games was 3rd overall defensively man. Give the man some kudos. He’s had SH*T to work with. Period. He’s not running the Ravens D of yesteryear.

Again, you guys are taking a look at stats and saying ….”See see…he’s not that great!” You’re nitpicking what you want to see….The Cowboys defense is VERY BAD….it’s the one thing every Cowboys fan would concede didn’t have much “talent” outside of ware and Rat(and he’s even regressed a bit). Hell Jimmy was joking at the 3 bullies in the offseason, yet the defense has been the one side of the ball that has been consistent up until the Eagles picked apart old ass Keith and James. Without a real training camp or offseason.

Stop kidding yourselves….Ryan would take that Eagles Defense into elite status with those Corners and DL. You guys know this, but it’s easier to laugh and point because Ryan has a big mouth. I get that. I understand.

2. Jason-E says:

Exactly. This Cowboys D was overhyped. They faced no good rushing teams before us. San Fran hadn’t found their offense yet; the Jets couldn’t run the ball until recently, the Rams suck, the Lions have no running game, the same with the Pats. Rob Ryan has consistently produced bottom of the barrel defenses. And yes, I would rather have taken the chance on Castillo than have Rob Ryan. The only reason anyone thinks he’s good is name recognition and nothing more. I don’t care how many bad teams you are on. No matter how bad you’re team is, if you’re a “great” DC, your defense will perform better than dead last, regardless of the rest of the team.

2. Euler.is.a.pimp says:

Since Rob Ryan would have wanted to bring the 34 here, I would rather have Castillo.