NFC Obituary/Heirarchy with Week 8 in the books

Graveyard:

Obituaries:

It was a fun ride to 3-1 when the offense was at least competent and the defense was able to do most of the heavy lifting.  But to Michael Lombardi’s chagrin, the Skins are done.

Injuries have played a part in this, but when your QB, your starting RB, your WRs, and your OL are all bottom 5 at their respective positions in the NFL, you’re simply not going to score points.  And thus not win games.  And thus not make the playoffs.  The Skins got younger this past offseason out of necessity.  They also vastly improved their defense through a free agency period in which they spent a lot, but did so in a smarter way than they have in the past.  I suspect they’ll continue to get younger this upcoming offseason as well.  That probably means drafting a QB.  If that’s the route they go, it’ll take time for that kid to develop.  If they try to plug in another mediocre vet, then it might be time to start calling for the Shannys’ heads.  Realistically, the Skins should have 2013 in mind.  There’s no magic formula that’s going to plug the crazy number of holes in their offense to make this team a legitimate contender next year.  They need to continue forward with the youth movement and exercise patience, never a strong suit of Dan Snyder.  But again… for now… this team can’t compete as currently constructed.

Heirarchy:

10 – Embarrassed

The Eagles did whatever they wanted to Dallas Sunday night.  If Sean Lee misses any sort of extended time at all with his dislocated wrist, this team is in enormous trouble, as Keith Brooking and Bradie James were comically bad.  They have the Seahawks at home this week, and are somehow I’m seeing some lines this week that have the Cowboys as 12.5 point favorites?!?  I understand that the Seahawks are bad and all, but 12.5?

9 – 4-3, buuuuuut…

There are 6 teams in the NFL this season have not won any games by more than 7 points: The winless Colts and Dolphins, the 1-6 Cardinals, the 2-6 Jaguars, the 2-6 Tebows, and (drumroll………) the Tampa Bay Bucs!  That’s not good company, and it’s one reason the Bucs have a point differential of -38.  The Bucs return from their bye after playing in London last week, and now it’s gut check time – Next 3 games: @ Saints, Texans, @ Packers.

8 – MEE DEE OH KER

Yardage-wise, the Falcons are bottom half of the league in offensive passing, offensive rushing, and defensive passing.  They’re also bottom half in points per game and points allowed per game.  But hey, when you’re THAT close to winning a Super Bowl you almost HAVE to trade 5 picks for a rookie WR.

Fix your shitty field, Bears

7 – I hate this team

I’m sorry, but I do.  Obviously, that’s not objective journalism.  Whatever.  As an Eagles fan, I’ve watched my Eagles play the Bears each of the past 4 years, with the last 3 being at Soldier Field, which is an abomination of a playing surface that the Bears have publicly admitted they like having as an advantage.  You’re in Philly this year, fellas.  No sloppy track to slow down the Eagles offense this year.  However, there always has to be something.  A few weeks ago, the Eagles had to play the Redskins, who were coming off their bye week.  This week, they’ll get their second team this season coming off a bye.  That shouldn’t happen.

6 – “A” Game

Was Sunday night’s complete and utter destruction of Dallas “flukey” or should we expect that Eagles team the rest of the season?  I don’t think it’s either.  It’s certainly not a fluke.  I’ve seen the Eagles do that to other teams, and I’m sure I’ll see it again at some point, but at the same time, the Eagles played near flawless football.  They’re not going to play like that every week.  What we saw was Philly’s “A” game.  When Philly has their “A” game going, they’re in the conversation with the Packers.  It’s a matter of being consistent.

5 – Say what you will, but Eli is tearing it up

Here are Eli’s passer ratings in each of the last 6 games after their opening season loss to the Skins:

– Rams – 94.2

– At Eagles – 145.7

– At Cardinals – 108.4

– Seahawks – 91.8

– Bills – 94.8

– Dolphins – 106.6

The Giants are in New England this week, where the Pats are… you know… pretty good.  Expect Eli to continue to play well, as NE’s pass defense stinks.  Call me crazy, but that game can be won.

4 – Hope you’re having fun guys

After sucking for the greater part of the last… um… really long, long time, the Lions are feeling good about themselves.  A lot has been made of the way they acted in victory in Denver on Sunday.  I have less of a problem with it than others, but really, it’ll only put a target on the Lions.  If you don’t respect your opponents in victory, you can be sure as shit your opponents aren’t going to have respect for you.  I’m personally looking forward to the next team that blows this team out mocks them the way they mocked the Broncos on Sunday… because it’s coming.

3 –62-7 against Indy, and then… a loss to the Rams? Really?

The NFL makes no sense sometimes.

2 – The nice easy stretch continues

At 6-1 and 4 games up in the division, you can pretty much put it in pen – The Niners are playoff bound.  You can start to think about penciling them into an opening round bye.  As a reminder, their remaining schedule: @ Redskins, Giants, Cardinals, @ Ravens, Rams, @ Cardinals, Steelers, @ Seahawks, @ Rams.  Difficult to find any remaining schedules any easier than that.

1 – Still the best

1. Jerica Rios says:

Doing some browsing and observed your website looks a bit messed up in my AOL cyberspace web browser. But luckily hardly anyone practices it any longer but you may desire to look into it

2. recall, a long time for me some. Well okay. I need this article something I am working on, and mine is on the same theme as this post. Thanks, great share.

3. Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

4. strongzz It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

5. I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

6. Merely wish to say your article is just as astonishing. The clearness in your post is actually cool and i also could assume you are knowledgeable in such a topic. Fine with the permission allow me to to grab your RSS feed which keeps updated with forthcoming post. Thank you a million and please carry about the enjoyable work.

7. hair salon says:

Hi! I am aware this is kinda off topic but I was questioning when you realized exactly wherever I was able to find a captcha plugin for my comment kind? I’m making use of exactly the same blog platform as yours and I’m acquiring challenges getting one? Thanks lots!

8. […] Redskins are now 3-5. I killed them off last week in my stupid little recurring weekly heirarchy/obituary piece. To my mild surprise, none of my […]

9. 1 day deal says:

My husband and i got seriously more than pleased Peter managed to conclude his analysis through your ideas he got while using the website. It is now and once again perplexing to just continually be giving out secrets and techniques which usually the others could have been selling. And now we take into account we have you to thank for that. Those explanations you’ve made, the simple web-site navigation, the relationships you make it easier to engender – it really is all terrific, and it’s truly aiding our son additionally to the family really feel that the idea is pleasurable, which is tremendously vital. Thank you for the entire thing!

1. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

I wish Jimmy had set up a reccomend button! Because i Rec this comment! Make it green, folks!

1. They’ve always been there. I spend more time deleting this junk than I do writing.

2. JoeW says:

What is this?

10. coupons says:

I do accept as accurate with all of the ideas you have offered in your post. They’re extremely convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are incredibly speedy for starters. May possibly you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

1. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

^ well it was only a matter of time until the Chinese Communists got a hold of Blogging the bEast.

11. Joe D says:

yea look at all those amazing defenses that Eli tore up!!!! Giants are the biggest fluke right now

12. Number5 says:

I fear the Lions more than the Saints

13. Eric says:

Don’t be shocked if the ‘skins end up with a top 10 pick and Dan Snyder trades away the 2012 and 2013 drafts to get Luck.

14. jj says:

IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED TODAY, DA BEARS ARE IN… TO BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT….

15. TransplantedFan says:

Sweet jesus… there’s almost nothing stopping the 49’ers from being a 12-4 team by season’s end.

1. Kevin M. says:

Nothing except Alex Smith becoming…well…Alex Smith

16. Jason-E says:

Eli is playing fantastic, but their schedule is rough. I really don’t see them going better than 8-8. Maybe Eli’s fantastic play can continue and they get lucky and go 10-6, but I don’t see it.

And the Cowboys by 12.5? Give me the Seahawks for the win.

17. The Legend says:

ESPN also has the Saints ahead of the Lions but that’s a complete joke in my opinion. Lions have a better record & didn’t lose to one of the worst teams in football this week

1. I try not to overreact to one loss, bad as it may be. I’m looking at the entire body of work, with roster evaluation mixed in. There’s no way the Lions are better than the Saints – That’s just my opinion, but one I feel strongly about.

1. The Legend says:

I can understand, rankings are tricky I guess I’ve always believed that it should be about what the team has done up to that point but once you get to a certain point a team with a better record by a game or two might not be playing as well. Looking at who both NO & DET have played so far I might take what DET so far over NO. We’ll find out who’s better though december 4th when they play each other I wouldn’t be surprised if DET won but will probably lean NO

2. Kevin M. says:

Yeah.

I still dont buy into the Lions 100%. They play Green Bay twice, @ New Orleans, and the Chargers at home.

NONE of the teams theyve beaten are anything special, and theyve lost to the only two average or above average teams theyve played(ATL, San Fran).

18. DerfDiggy says:

NFC East will come down to the Boys/Eagles in December…I’d be surprised if the Giants are .500 by then. I seriously see the Giants getting swept by both the Eagles and Boys. They are remarkably unimpressive thus far. Just look horrible but continue to luck into wins.

1. packimop says:

They already beat the Eagles.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Oh snap…that’s right…..well my initial point holds true. Giants will struggle with the schedule…December will come and it’ll be a two horse race.

1. giants fan says:

Did you not read the part about Eli playing very well? Also, with the exception of San Francisco, none of the defenses that the Giants play this season are all that scary. Based on those two facts I don’t think there is any game on this schedule that is simply out of reach for the Giants. Writing them off when they’ve already beaten teams like the Eagles and the Bills is just silly.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Well then you have every right to call me silly then. They don’t pass the eyeball test for me. Can that change, and they turn course like the Eagles looked to have? Certainly…but the Giants haven’t looked very good this season. If you’re resting on a win is a win, that’s cool, I’d do the same if I was a Giants fan.

No biggie either way. I can see your point of view and optimism, I just don’t think we end up at the same conclusion. Time will tell…lot’s of football left.

best mail in the forfeit now, save the embarrassment, right?

1. DerfDiggy says:

Nope…that’s why the games are played. As I said above….
                Here’s a breakdown for the slow. The Giants haven’t been impressive, IMO…but eeked out some W’s. That’s all that matters at the end of the day. Can they continue to play badly and win games? I don’t think so, especially in this tough stretch they have….can they start to play well and win games. Absolutely. That’s why the season is 17 weeks and not 9.

19. Tron says:

Can we really complain about playing surfaces…

*Cough* The Vet *Cough*