11 great Cowboys-Eagles matchups to watch tonight

There are so many intriguing matchups in this one.  I think I’m just going to jump around all over the place.

The Eagles struggle against Jason Witten... kinda like the rest of the league.

The Eagles’ 3 corners vs. Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten – A number of the Philly beat reporters said that Nnamdi would be matched up on Jason Witten, with DRC and Samuel taking on the guys on the outside.  That info is untrustworthy, at best, in my opinion.  I’m not sure why the Eagles would reveal that.  But if that is indeed the case, those matchups make sense if it’s 3rd and 8, but if Philly comes out with that personnel on 1st down, the Cowboys will be more than happy to to pound the ball against the Eagles’ nickle D.  If the Eagles try to cover Witten with their LBs, Witten should have a big day.  It could be a bit of a “pick your poison” situation for the Philly D with Witten, as it usually is.  I also expect Miles Austin to line up quite a bit in the slot in long 3rd down situations.  That could lead to matchups against Joselio Hanson.

Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson, Derek Landri, and Trevor Laws vs. the Cowboys’ interior OL – If you were to ask me “From top to bottom on the Cowboys’ roster, what is THE biggest weakness?” the answer is easy – The interior OL.  Phil Costa has been very bad this season at center.  On one side of Costa you have the aging/declining/dinged Kyle Kosier.  On the other you have Montrae Holland, a player that was cut in the preseason, but the team brought back in the middle of week prior to their Week 7 game against St. Louis.  Jenkins is tied for the league lead with Richard Seymour for the most sacks by an interior defensive lineman.  He likely had a large puddle of drool next to him on the floor of the film room watching tape of Costa this season.

DeMarcus Ware vs. Um… the Eagles’ offense? – DeMarcus Ware is one of the top 5 defenders in the league, and this year is no different, as he’s on pace for 21 sacks.  It’s so difficult to put Ware in a matchup against one specific player.  Since Jason Peters joined the Eagles in 2009, he has played very well against Ware.  If you take out the meaningless Week 17 game last year in which Ware abused tomato can Austin Howard all day, Ware has 2 sacks in 4 games against the Eagles since Peters took over at LT.  Both sacks came in the Cowboys’ 34-14 rout of Philly in the ’09 playoffs, a game in which the Eagles dropped back to pass more than 40 times and the entire Dallas D could pin their ears back and go.  The Eagles would be more than happy to see Ware line up opposite Peters all night, but the that’s likely not to happen.  Expect Rob Ryan to move Ware all over the field tonight.

Cowboys run D vs. the Eagles run O – The Cowboys have the #1 ranked run D in the NFL.  The Eagles have the #1 ranked run O.  The Eagles’ “#1 ranked run O” is a little misleading, as a large chunk of those yards were actually pass plays where Michael Vick tucked and ran.  If we’re talking about the more traditional run game, the Eagles still do a great job running the football.  LeSean McCoy is averaging 5.4 yards per carry this season.  Last year, the Eagles dominated the Cowboys upfront.  Jason Peters and Todd Herremans threw poor Igor Olshansky around like a rag doll.  Here’s the Eagles’ 4 minute offense last year against Dallas:

Pure domination.  But… Olshansky is gone, and the Cowboys signed Kenyon Coleman. Marcus Spears and Jason Hatcher are playing better this year than they have the rest of their careers.  The Alan Ball experiment at safety is over, and Abram Elam has vastly upgraded the position from a run D perspective.  Sean Lee has emerged and already had 51 tackles.  The Cowboys were 4-8 when they faced Philly last year.  It’s not exactly the same group.  I expect the Eagles to try to keep the Cowboys’ pass rush honest by mixing in a decent dose of the run.  The enormous holes that opened up last year won’t be there this time around, but I do think the Eagles can have some success there based on their talent at the RB position and their quick and agile OL.

Amazing playmaker, horrible tackler.

Asante Samuel and DRC vs. the bubble screen – When you think about WRs that play more like running backs once they have the ball in their hands, you used to think of Anquan Boldin.  There are a small handful of WRs league-wide that excel at breaking tackles, and the Cowboys have two of them.  It’s no secret that Asante Samuel doesn’t tackle well, and if the Cowboys can somehow get Samuel and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on the same side of the field, they’ll look to exploit it.  The bubble screen is a staple of the Cowboys offense, and they’ve have spectacular success running it against Philly.  I’m setting the Cowboys bubble screen over-under at 4.5.

Trent Cole vs. Doug Free – Doug Free was clearly the Cowboys’ best offensive lineman last year.  This year, he’s been a huge disappointment.  Trent Cole is healthy and rested.  It’ll be interesting to see what the Cowboys do upfront.  Do you give extra attention to Cole, and leave your interior guys with unfavorable matchups against Cullen Jenkins and Co., or do you trust your $8 million/year LT to handle Cole on his own?  The Cowboys will need to stay on schedule in this game and stay out of 3rd and long situations to help negate the Eagles’ big edge on the defensive line.  I would also expect the Cowboys to run a large number of draws, another staple of the Cowboys O, and something that they’ve had success with against Philly.

DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Jason Avant vs. the Cowboys’ pass rush – The Cowboys’ secondary can’t cover the Eagles’ receivers if Michael Vick has time to throw.  It’s imperative that the Cowboys get consistently heavy pressure on Michael Vick, or it could be a long day.

Jay Ratliff vs. Jason Kelce – Jay Ratliff has owned the Eagles at times.  In the past, the Eagles were trying to block him with the beefy Jamaal Jackson (6’4, 325) and the cube shaped Nick Cole (6’0, 350). Ratliff destroyed them with his quickness.  This time around, on paper you look at Jay Ratliff vs. Jason Kelce and think “Hmmmm… Pro Bowl NT vs. 6th round rookie C,” and you’d immediate go “Oof, gonna be a long day for that kid.”  I wouldn’t be inclined to disagree.  It’s still obviously a matchup that favors Dallas.  However, Kelce is actually a player that matches up far better against Ratliff than Jackson or Cole ever did.  At 6’3, 282, Kelce is a very quick center.  This may be one of the rare occasions we’ll see Ratliff rely more on his power moves than his quicks.

The Eagles’ safeties and LBs vs. DeMarco Murray – All this really comes down to is… Can the Eagles wrap up and tackle?  DeMarco Murray isn’t going to juke anyone out of their drawers, but he does run hard and he hits holes fast.  If the Eagles can build off their game a couple weeks ago in DC and make tackles, Murray shouldn’t pose a huge problem for the Eagles’ D.  If the Eagles can’t tackle (and that’s kind of a huge “if”), well, it’ll look a lot like the first half against Buffalo, and the second half against the Niners.

Jason Babin vs. Tyron Smith – This is just a great football matchup.  Cam Newton is probably going to be the offensive rookie of the year this year (as he should be), but if offensive linemen got acknowledgement for such things, Tyron Smith would be an outstanding candidate.  Jason Babin already has 7 sacks this year and is a Tasmanian devil of a pass rusher.  Smith hasn’t seen anyone quite like Babin yet this season, and he probably won’t get much help.  Really, the closest player in terms of pass rushing talent would have been Cliff Avril of the Lions.  Huge test for the kid.

Punters vs. punt returners – We’ll have two of the best punt returners in the game on the field tonight in DeSean Jackson and Dez Bryant.  The Cowboys have the edge here, with perennial Pro Bowl punter Mat McBriar kicking to Jackson.  Meanwhile, Eagles rookie punter Chas Henry has been erratic.

I really think this one is going to be a beauty of a football game, with just an abnormal number of outstanding, intriguing matchups.  I’m thinking that the game tape will be a lot of fun to dissect after the fact.  It’s perhaps the best 2-4 team vs 3-3 team matchup I can ever remember.

1. Very good written information. It will be useful to anybody who employess it, as well as me. Keep doing what you are doing canr wait to read more posts.

2. Lorelei says:

Awesome article, great page layout, keep up the good work

3. I have noticed that online education is getting popular because getting your college degree online has developed into a popular option for many people. A huge number of people have not had a possible opportunity to attend a normal college or university however seek the elevated earning potential and career advancement that a Bachelors Degree offers. Still other individuals might have a diploma in one field but wish to pursue another thing they now develop an interest in.

4. i need money says:

Wonderful site, now let me discover several handy free chat rooms

5. Roselee says:

I frankly knew about nearly all of this, but however, I still believed it had been beneficial. Great job!

6. Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

7. daily deal says:

undoubtedly like your web page having said that you have to take a look at the spelling on rather a few of one’s posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in acquiring it extremely bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I will definitely come back again.

8. I do think the classic 80/20 rule applies here,great article, I really like reading from this level

9. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

10. iphone 5 says:

Everything is really open and extremely clear explanation of problems. was truly data. Your internet site is really useful. Many thanks for sharing.

11. deals says:

Maintain functioning ,impressive job!

12. Daily deals says:

Hey, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your tremendous writings. Past numerous posts are just just a little bit out of track! come on!

13. daily deals says:

Magnificent internet web-site. Lots of useful details here. I¡¦m sending it to a few buddies ans moreover sharing in delicious. And definitely, thank you in your sweat!

14. Basically desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity inside your post is merely excellent and i could assume you are an professional on this subject. Properly together with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to preserve updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable function.

15. Daily deals says:

You produced some decent points there. I did a search on the issue and found most individuals will agree along with your internet site.

16. shane says:

Jimmy,

You should do a write up on how the eagles used the same run play the past two seasons to dismantle the cowboys o-line. you know the play.

1. shane says:

err d-line

2. OK, I’ll look at the tape.

17. shane says:

I can’t figure out if you owe us an apology or we should be thanking you.

18. DerfDiggy says:

Welp…I guess you guys were right about Fat Andy and his post Bye games:(

19. one.cool.customer says:

Good write-up. I would add is that you may see Ware lined up inside on occasion as well. Just as you’re likely to see a lot of Eagles pressure in the middle against Costa, don’t be surprised if the Cowboys look to collapse the pocket in the middle .

20. The Legend says:

It doesn’t matter now obviously but after reading the DeMarcus Ware part had me thinking why the hell didn’t Andy have King play LT last year in the finale? I’m not saying he would shut Ware down(that would be stupid) but he would of definitely have done a better job then Howard & with how that game went maybe we win if Ware didn’t get to feast on Howard

21. DerfDiggy says:

Good write up Jimmy. Should be a great game, I think it’s as simple as the team that’s able to effectively run the ball, wins. As deadly as the Eagles receivers are, I think if Andy doesn’t balance his attack today, Ware & Co. will get to Vick often….
    With that said though…the Eagles are doomed…as my first born son arrived Wednesday, he came especially so he could watch the Boys beat the Eagles. Whoever you pray to…wouldn’t allow him to see the Cowboys lose on the first Sunday of his life. We’ll just chalk this one up as an L for you guys….and you can correct your season next week. Cool?

1. Is that for real? You had a kid this week?

1. giants fan says:

I’m excited for this game. We should learn a lot about both teams. You’re probably right, by the way, about the best 2-4 v. 3-3 match up.

2. DerfDiggy says:

Yep….for real:)

2. packimop says:

I like how Cowboys’ fans blindly ignore that AR is 12-0 after the bye week like it doesn’t even matter.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Ehh, nobody is ignoring it. It’s relevant, but only by so much. There’s soooo many stats that one can draw up to make whatever point they’re trying to. I think the year the Boys beat the Eagles 3 times in a year Eagles fans were pointing out stats that all but made it impossible for the Boys to win the third time.

Also…This year is proving that the BYE week can potentially be a hurdle. With a shortened preseason/training camp, and a lot of teams experiencing quite a bit of turnover(Eagles included)….Teams need as much time on the field practicing as possible, with the new CBA, the bye week kind’ve eliminates the extra time practicing and installing practicies teams normally had.

1. DerfDiggy says:

*installing packages….not installing practices. You get my point. I think.

Anyways, yea…The game will be won on the field tonight. Stats may help you in your argument for why you think the Eagles will win, but it’s not a be all. I wish I could find Jimmy’s BGN post(F*ck it we’re winning anyways I think it was called) that year the Boys won 3 times. If I can recall it had all types of stats and reasons why the Eagles would win the third match up.

1. Nah, I didn’t have much in the way of stats on that post. It was pure pep rally nonsense. I had almost no confidence that the Eagles would win that game.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Well…post fail.

Ignore everything I said Packimop. Eagles got this because Andy Reid is undefeated after the bye.

1. packimop says:

Seriously he’s such a ridiculously good game planner during the BYE week. He not only improves his own team but he comes up with amazing schemes. I swear it’s all due to the BYE. There’s no way the outcome of the game will be the same when the two teams meet later in the season.

2. slandog says:

And………the Eagles did have this one!

2. I do think the bye week thing is real. Stats like “The Eagles are 6-0 all time 4 days after a full moon ” are useless.

Andy Reid has his weaknesses. Clock management, etc. But he also has his strengths. He’s one of the best ever at gameplanning. Give him 2 weeks to prepare for somebody, and it’s a real advantage.

Congrats on the kid. That’s awesome. I have a bun in the oven.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Well JG is undefeated after a bye as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone is leaving with a 1 in the loss column!

Thanks!, you know what you’re having and a due date? I hope you and the lady have a flawless pregnancy/birth. Here’s to a new generation of Cowboys/Eagles fans.