I think the title is pretty self-explanatory. Let’s just get right to it:
5) Leon Lett’s Super Bowl fumble – We’ve all seen this one a million times. Lett had a chance to score, celebrated early, and the hustling Don Beebe knocked the ball out of his hand through the back of the end zone for a touchback. Damage – Minimal, as the Cowboys were already blowing out the Bills.
4) Redskins fake FG – This one isn’t a dumb play by a specific player, but it might be the most ridiculous gadget play I’ve ever seen. Damage – Didn’t really matter, as the Skins were pretty much already a joke this season.
3) DeSean Jackson’s premature celebration – Dopey play by Jackson here, who was a rookie at the time. Damage – None. The Cowboys challenged, won the challenge, but because no Cowboys actually picked up the football (Pacman Jones thought about it for a second, then didn’t), the Eagles got the ball at the Dallas 1 yard line and scored anyway on the next play.
2) Ronnie Brown’s inexplicable “pass” to the ground – I’ve already beaten this one to death, and don’t really have anything to add. Damage – Well, I look at the final score on last Sunday’s game, and think about the 3 points the Eagles almost certainly missed out on, and I think the damage was pretty significant.
1) Leon Lett’s Thanksgiving Day disaster – One of my all-time favorite football moments. The Cowboys block the FG, and need to do nothing more than leave the ball alone, and they get themselves the W. Along comes Lett, who slides into the football, Dolphins recover, get a second chance and drill the game winner. Damage – Huge. Cost the Cowboys the game, obviously. Ruined Thanksgiving dinner for Cowboys fans nationwide.
Note – This is a longer version of the video. Skip to about the 5:15 mark for the FG and ensuing craziness. So many funny things here – A very young looking Jerry Jones, former Eagle Doug Pederson cleaning off 3 different spots on the field for like 3 straight minutes, a young Ed Hochuli, etc.