The Redskins have an opportunity to bury the Eagles after their bye

Not to state something fairly obvious here just by looking at the schedule and the standings, but the Redskins have an outstanding opportunity to put some serious distance between themselves and the most talented team in the division, the Philadelphia Eagles, two Sundays from now.

The Eagles travel to Buffalo this week to take on the suddenly legitimate Bills, and then head to DC to face the Redskins.  The Skins, meanwhile, have 2 full weeks to prepare for the Eagles, as they have their bye this Sunday.

If the Eagles take care of business in Buffalo, they’ll head into DC at 2-3. If not, they may already be done anyway, at 1-4.  Obviously, the Redskins will have a chance to send the Eagles to either 2-4 or 1-5 (with an 0-2 division record), while improving their own record to 4-1.  That would give them either a 2.5 or 3.5 game advantage, with a head-to-head win already in the books.

An argument could be made that this is the biggest game the Redskins will play since they lost to the Seahawks in the playoffs way back after the 2007 season.

This isn’t to be dismissive of the Cowboys and Giants, mind you, especially seeing as… you know… the Cowboys beat the Skins a couple weeks ago, but the Cowboys and Giants simply don’t look anything like playoff teams, in my opinion.  Obviously, neither do the Eagles right now, whose defense has looked like a turd sandwich through 4 games this season.

Really, the closest thing the NFC East has to a team that looks even remotely playoff worthy right now is Washington, sad as that may be with Rex Grossman at the helm.  But if I were a Redskins fan, I’d be most concerned with the team that has the biggest potential to be great, and that would be Philly.  It’ll only be Week 6 when the Eagles visit DC, and the Skins can all but kill the Eagles’ playoff hopes.  That would be a great feeling for Shanny and Co., who are probably still smarting over the 59-point shellacking administered by the Eagles in DC last season.

1. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

2. Todd says:

Excellent article, We are browsing back again more often to watch out for posts.

3. Medicare recipients be undergoing been frightened beside stories that their benefits resolution be cut. Middle-age people are worried they purpose fritter their jobs when the law’s dreaded regulations, or taxes, or perchance regulations with taxes, would enfeeble their employers’ businesses.

4. Interesting, still I\’ve came accross one completely opposite blog post the other day

5. CarverM says:

I have to say, I really like the ‘Skins chances of playing really well against an Eagles team without Trent Cole and Jason Peters (although I think Jason Peters is overrated, he is your best lineman). Cole always seems to play well against us and while I don’t root for injuries, it doesn’t make me the least bit sad that he probably won’t be playing.

At the end of the day though, I’m still not going to bet on any game involving Vick and DeSean Jackson.

6. Free Plax says:

Being that the Eggs have already lost one to the Giants have not played the Boys and let’s be honest might not recover from such a bad start, The Redskins still look shaky and lost to the boys. The Giants have a ton of injuries and are winning finding ways to win. And the Boys look good one game and bad the next, I would say the division is wide open and any of the four can win the division. Looks more like a 4 team race than just a two team race at this point if you really trying to be fair. However if you want to keep your Eggs slant going than fine, even though the Eggs are showing some really serious holes in their D they will still win the division because well the author of the article is and Eagles fan.

1. packimop says:

Where does it say in this article that the Eagles are going to win the NFCEast?

1. It doesn’t. Nor does it say the NFCE is a two-team race. But why let that get in the way of reading things that aren’t there?

1. Free Plax says:

“This isn’t to be dismissive of the Cowboys and Giants, mind you, especially seeing as… you know… the Cowboys beat the Skins a couple weeks ago, but the Cowboys and Giants simply don’t look anything like playoff teams, in my opinion. ” But despite saying the Eagles also don’t look good right now the title of the article is…
          ” The Redskins have an opportunity to bury the Eagles after their bye”

Gee I have no idea where I where I could have got the two team race idea from…

1. I read that three times, and have no idea what you’re trying to say.

1. Free Plax says:

You tittled your article that the Redskins have a chance to bury the Eagles did you not? I quoted you dismissing the Giant and Cowboys because “the don’t look like playoff teams” So since you think the Eagles are the only team in the division that has a chance to be great a logical conclusion is you are saying the NFC East is really a two team race.

If you are not how come the Giants and Cowboys don’t have a chance to bury they Eagles?

1. You know I love ya, bud, but your imagination is getting the best of you.

2. “how come the Giants and Cowboys don’t have a chance to bury they Eagles?”

The Redskins have a bye, and then their next game is against the Eagles.

7. Euler.is.a.pimp says:

If this team doesn’t shape up soon the Skins won’t have any trouble doing it yet.

If the Giants can stockpile wins early, and get some bodies back, they might be able to get into the play-offs. However, that second half schedule makes 9-7 look like a more reasonable achievement.

9. Jason-E says:

Kharma’s a bitch…

1. Jason-E says:

Karma as well.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Why are you so dismissive of the Cowpokes and Giants, Jimmy? Seriously…injuries have plagued both teams…and despite Romo playing……dumb. Both teams have shown that they’re talented enough to make the playoffs.

I know it’s easy to hate the Redskins less then the rest of the NFC east…I get it. I do the same, but you seriously think it’s a one horse race if the Skins simply bury the Eagles?

1. No, I don’t think it’s a one-horse race at all. I just think they’ve looked like the best team in the NFCE so far. They’ve impressed me. The Cowboys and Giants haven’t.

1. Free Plax says:

Have you watched the Skins play, becuase they are not all that impressive. Yes I think we are all suprised they have played this well to this point, but based on their play I highly doubt you can say they are any better than any other team in the East and that includes your Eagles.

1. “Have you watched the Skins play, becuase they are not all that impressive.”

Offense… no. Defense… absolutely.

10. DerfDiggy says:

It’s a good thing the season is 16 weeks and not 6…or else the Boys and Giants would be DOOMED…DOOMED I tell you.

11. Skinsational says:

I agree. Even though the eagles look like crap they still worry me a lot more than the cowboys or giants. As for it being the skins biggest game since 2007, the skins started off strong in 2008 too, but I agree that this one coming up feels bigger.

Great blog by the way. After my usual skins sites I check, this is the first place I go. Keep up the great work.