Video breakdown: Ronnie Brown’s “Dumbest play ever” is equally on Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg

I read a reader comment one time on IgglesBlitz (I think), that went something to the effect of: “When Andy Reid parks his car, instead of just pulling into the spot, he’d rather floor it to 75, cut the wheel while slamming on the breaks and do a triple flip over a Humvee and land it perfectly into the spot.” Sorta like this:

And that’s kind of what Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg dialed up when they ran their piece of trash option throw play to Ronnie Brown on 3rd and G from the 2. Obviously, Brown made one of the dumbest plays we’ve ever seen. Even after listening to him speak after the game, I have no idea what he was thinking on that one. Brown, did however, reveal that a pass on the play was an option, and the evidence certainly supports that notion. At the snap, watch Eagles TE Clay Harbor (82), on the left side of the line. Harbor goes into a route at the snap. It appears as if RG Kyle DeVan (68) was supposed to pull and pick up 49ers LB Parys Haralson. DeVan, however, got his feet tangled up with center Jason Kelce (62), and fell, leaving Haralson unblocked with a free shot on Brown. At that point, Brown needs to just eat it and settle for 3. He didn’t.

I’m guessing that on this play, Brown was supposed to run into the line, jump back, and throw? I really have no idea, making this my worst “video breakdown” ever. Anyway, the point is this: I hate being the guy that micro-manages play-calling after the fact. I did it last week already, and I’ll do it again. Andy… Marty… I think more work needs to go into getting your players to execute real football plays before trying this absurdity.

1. top?? so it gets noticed.. . Copy Paste

2. nu says:

555…

Baby: A loud noise at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other….

3. Thanks for sharing, it truly is a really informative publish and very helpful for some kind of businesses like mine. I like when I’m looking the world wide web and i come across a site with valuable points like this. Thanks lots for the research, We’ve noted a number of them here so I can use them in a future. Kudos for you and keep up the good blogging perform.

4. The genuineness is, rather baby ordain change-over in return most people.

5. Import Cars says:

“Love’s greatest gift is its ability to make everything it touches sacred.” ~ Barbara de Angelis

6. “Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.” ~ Thomas Aquinas

7. “There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved: It is God’s finger on man’s shoulder.” ~ Charles Morgan

8. appropriate we fancy your personal style for this blog really. Maintain the good quality tasks!

9. emotions says:

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

10. “A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

11. kredyciak says:

Hi. I agree with you – 100% +. Thank you for the information. Mike.

12. […] Ronnie Brown’s inexplicable “pass” to the ground – I’ve already beaten this one to death, and don’t really have anything to add. Damage – Well, I look at the final score on […]

13. Fantastic, wonderful blog… really enjoy it and inserted it into my social bookmarks. Keep up the good work

Worthy of inclusion in the great hall with Left Handed Eli.

1. ATLEagle says:

I was wondering what I have enjoyed from the Giants past that would come to haunt me this year… and here it is. We have the off-season victory that I loved laughing at the skins for, the pre-season hype of Dallas that was always a good talking point, and now this. Karma is a bitch.

15. Turd.Ferguson says:

Maybe that’s why the redzone defense is so bad. They only know how to defend ridiculous plays since that’s all the offense runs in practice. They don’t know how to defend against a normal goal line play in an actual game because they’ve never seen one before.

1. Haha, great point! Frank Gore runs in for an easy score, while the defense looks around at each other, puzzled… “Wait… where was the triple reverse?!?!?”

16. Tron says:

Andy also did your favorite and called a timeout right before the two minute warning.

1. Yup, and I had a long argument (as usual) with some other reporter in the press box. And then naturally, the Niners ran anyway.

1. packimop says:

Why save about 45 seconds off the clock when you can save 1 second? Brilliant.

1. Gary says:

No, it saves about 40 seconds either way. It’s just that it opens up the whole playbook for them instead of forcing them to run to kill clock.

17. PE says:

THANK YOU.

I’ve been accused of letting Ronnie “off the hook” by saying Reid/Marty are also to blame here, and I’m glad to see someone finally agree with me.

There’s no doubting that what Ronnie did was very dumb, but the point stands that this kind of play-call shouldn’t even happen in the first place.

18. GMENHQ says:

When dream teams become nightmares……