I don’t think people should be writing the Giants off either, but there’s little debate that they had a bad offseason.
Didn’t know the Giants went after the Packers’ John Kuhn, and Berman reports. Also, (not in this article) I love the nickname that has emerged for Hynoski: “The Hynoceros.” I’m on the belief that a player doesn’t deserve a nickname until he’s actually done something, but I can allow “The Hynoceros” because it’s obviously good.
Jason proposes a fun game here. Go read. And I’ll play along: I’ll take Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and a surprise pick: Kyle Orton.
I’m already tired of Osi.
(Cowboys, Redskins, and Eagles news after the jump)…
Lars makes the case that players like Jon Kitna and Tashard Choice (among others) may not be safe.
Instant upgrade over Roy Williams. That’s not a snarky joke. I believe that.
Won’t be surprised if Arkin beats out Montrae Holland.
These Mavs-Cowboys comparisons were old less than a week after the Mavs won the title. It’s been months now. Let it go.
Forget the NFC East prediction. Watch as he says Donovan McNabb “didn’t have a great season,” and the repressed grin when asked about appearing first on the team’s depth chart.
He and his wife had twin “micro-preemies.” Sad story.
“Don’t let [blockers] get to me,” Fletcher said with a laugh. “It’s not going to be where [Cofield] is going to have a bunch of tackles, and people are saying this or that. He don’t need a bunch of tackles. Leave those for me.”
Cofield has never played that kind of role in the NFL. Not that he can’t, mind you, but it’ll be interesting to see if he can.
Fantastic, well-researched article here. Must read. Lot’s of great info here:
- Apparently, the Eagles took a big hit with the loss of Omar Gaither in free agency.
- Brad points out that not every free agent the Eagles brought in is perfect.
- It isn’t a given that Curtis Marsh is the answer as a kick returner.
- Brad guesses that Jeremy Maclin is currently weighing in at less than 160 lbs., “as of this writing.”
- Stewart Bradley was apparently the defense’s “undisputed leader.”
- I learned that 39 sacks in a season (which tied for 10th in the league last year) is bad.
- The Eagles may miss “Quintin Mickell” more than you’d think.
- Ronnie Brown, despite being born 29 years ago, is actually 30.
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie only had 3 interceptions last year. To put that in perspective, Dimitri Patterson had (and there’s a lot of CAPS mixed in here) FOUR INTS!!! FOUR! AND 8 more tackles… in SEVEN fewer starts. Clearly, Dimitri > DRC.
- Teams around the league are simply going to avoid Nnamdi and throw the other side, at DRC. Interesting. I seem to recall another guy that plays LCB for the Eagles but his name is escaping me. I guess he’s gone. Dammit, what was that guy’s name? I can’t think of it.
- “Out of respect for Jeremy Maclin’s privacy,” Brad declined to guess what Maclin’s illness may be, but was nice enough to do his journalistic duty to inform his readers that it’s probably something a lot more serious than mono. He also hopes that Maclin can return to full health, which is nice.
- Jamar Chaney was “okay in three starts last season, but is a far cry from Stewart Bradley and Jeremiah Trotter.”
- Sav “Rocco” was a quietly consistent punter.
- Alex Henery was only 3 for 8 on FG attempts of over 50 yards (Gasp!). I actually have 5 for 11, but that’s still less than 50%, so Brad’s point remains intact. I wonder what Henery’s numbers are from within 50 yards. If only that information was available on the Internet. Stupid Internet!
- Chas Henry was a great punter in the sun down at Florida, but one has to wonder how badly he’ll fall apart when the weather gets a little chilly in Philly.
- Michael Vick “failed miserably” in the second half of the season last year.
- Vick had “all six of his interceptions during his last seven starts.” Hmmm.
- With “high maintenance” guys like VY, D-Jax, Jenkins, DRC, and Jason Peters, this Eagles team faces chemistry issues.
- The Eagles should look no further than the Redskins in seeing that overloading one position full of alpha-dog star players doesn’t work, like the Eagles are trying to do at CB.
- We’ve yet to see any preseason games, and there’ already turmoil in Philadelphia.
- The Eagles are the “it” team and teams will play harder against them than they will against other teams.
Kinda homerish, but good work here by Roob.